General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 accord shakes its a** on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Smile 96 accord shakes its a** on the freeway

hello HAF. I think my 1996 accord has a suspension problem or is it normal? I just got the car a couple of months ago (182000 miles), driven on the freeway most of the time (ashphalt surface) and the ride is kind of soft but it is normal since the shocks are a little on the soft side already ( i guess needs replacing) but it has no leaks.

my question is, when i drive on cement concrete roads ( light grey) the car tends to move around like it is fighting over the grooves on the concrete, it shakes left to right it is minimal but noticeable since not I only noticed it including my gf. so is it because my struts are really soft now or there is something wrong with my suspension?

I dont have any noises/squeeks coming from the suspension even on unpaved roads.

do i need to replace the struts or should i look elsewhere, as to what is causing this.

thank you HAF. more power

Old 08-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

You may want to check for loose suspension components. Put the front of the car on jackstands. Turn the steering wheel until is locks. Then try to push/pull on each tire at the 3/9 then the 12/6 o'clock positions. There should be very little movement. If you have an assistant hold the steering wheel, there should be no movement at all.

If there is movement, try to find the component that is moving (upper/lower ball joint, tie rod end, etc...).

Also take a look at the end-links for the stabilizer bar. It is a stack of rubber bushings that hold that stabilizer bar to the knuckle by a long bolt and nut.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:48 PM

i will check it this saturday once i am free from work. I dont have the stabilizer bar in the rear, LX model. will it really affect the rear part of the car if the suspension part that is broken is in the front??

thank you for the reply sir.