General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Accord stalling

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Default 96 Accord stalling

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any advice you have for me.

I just bought a 1996 Accord, drove it home just fine. That same night, drove it around just to drive it and nothing wrong. Needs new brakes but that's about it. The next morning it was a little chilly, turned the heat on, it started sputtering. Didn't think much of it since I had just started the car and it had been sitting for awhile anyways before I got the car. Started driving, got to my second stop sign and the car stalls. Turn it back on, continue driving. Each time I came to a stop the car would sputter more. It died 2 more times in about a 10min time on my way to work. Forgot something at home when I got to work and after the car died on me again trying to get into the parking deck I just figured I would drive it home and get my other car. Again, still sputtering when I stop. Finally I turned off the heat and then it seemed fine. I turned it off when I got about half way home and everything was still normal when I got home.

Should also add that each time it stalls, the headlights stay on and the radio too.

Any guesses on what is causing this?
Thank you!

Old 10-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by xyeah
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any advice you have for me.

I just bought a 1996 Accord, drove it home just fine. That same night, drove it around just to drive it and nothing wrong. Needs new brakes but that's about it. The next morning it was a little chilly, turned the heat on, it started sputtering. Didn't think much of it since I had just started the car and it had been sitting for awhile anyways before I got the car. Started driving, got to my second stop sign and the car stalls. Turn it back on, continue driving. Each time I came to a stop the car would sputter more. It died 2 more times in about a 10min time on my way to work. Forgot something at home when I got to work and after the car died on me again trying to get into the parking deck I just figured I would drive it home and get my other car. Again, still sputtering when I stop. Finally I turned off the heat and then it seemed fine. I turned it off when I got about half way home and everything was still normal when I got home.

Should also add that each time it stalls, the headlights stay on and the radio too.

Any guesses on what is causing this?
Thank you!
I know mine acts this way when the A/C button is on. Not to sure of the problem.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by 94ex915
I know mine acts this way when the A/C button is on. Not to sure of the problem.
I haven't tried the air yet. I guess I should see if it does the same thing if the air is on as well. I drove it around yesterday without the heat and again, nothing wrong. But I did notice the temperature gauge seeming to take a while to move off of cold. I haven't seen it half way any of the times I drove the car. I'll have to look into that more and maybe leave the car on longer and take a look at it.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Almost A Senior Member

My temp gauge only moves a quarter of the way up..... yours is fine. But I would check your IACValve and try cleaning it. There are sticky threads all over about it. Then also after its clean set your base idle properly. (Also stickyed ) see if that helps then let.me know . Good luck