General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96' Accord -- Turns over but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Default 96' Accord -- Turns over but wont start

I have a 1996 honda accord, I recently put sea foam(spray) in the PCV vacuum valve last Friday and yesterday I went to start my car yesterday evening and it wouldn't go. It would turn over(all lights and electronics work) but the engine wouldn't run

Neighbor came over and sprayed some starter fluid in and it came on like a charm. Did I somehow manage to crap-out my starter or is the fuel filter or throttle body clogged?

Please give me tips to diagnose. Starter fluid gets it up and after it's warm it will start on it's own(If I wait too long it doesn't want to start) but it barely rev's up to idling speed. When it does start well it jumps all the way up to 1.6k RPM.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
czr

I had a 91 accord that did the same thing but my problem was the distributor, it was getting clogged with oil. that would be where i would start. hope this is somewhat helpfull

Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by czr
I had a 91 accord that did the same thing but my problem was the distributor, it was getting clogged with oil. that would be where i would start. hope this is somewhat helpfull
I'll check it out. I really hope it's not the distributor, I just replaced it a month ago.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:10 PM

The engine was shaking pretty bad when I sprayed in the seafoam mist, is it possible the rocking caused one of the coil's to break?

Also had the battery checked it's at 100% and the alternators functioning fine, all the diodes and components in it are okay, but that's probably obvious since it's running.

Last edited by Hondahonda; 03-12-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

How do the spark plugs look?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
How do the spark plugs look?
They are brand new, I just installed them last week.

Note: Prior to this addition of sea foam, I put in 3 oz of the liquid sea foam(Into the PCV Intake) about 2 or three weeks ago and after that it would always start with a high idle(1.6k RPM), then once I got in reverse/drive it would back down to the normal idle of 750.

Does this tell us anything significant?

Last edited by Hondahonda; 03-12-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Using starting fluid to get the car running does sound like a fuel delivery problem.

Does your check engine light turn on, or have you checked for codes since you are having starting problems?

What is the temperature where you live right now?

Old 03-12-2012, 11:45 PM

Well, Friday when I was using the seafoam spray I drew a few codes but I thought that was normal. Two of the cylinders misfired(P0301, P303) and a P1300 code, which didn't contain a description of any kind. I cleared the codes that day and they haven't come back.

Could it be the fuel filter? Anyone know where it is? I looked in my Haynes book, but the pictures...Looks pretty simple if I could find it.

In the meantime, is it bad to start my car with starter fluid? I read on another forum it keeps the engine detonating, and that's bad?

Last edited by Hondahonda; 03-12-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Have you looked for codes again? as PA asked.

Did the cleaning "show" an issue with the FITV?

Is the ECT not reading the engine is cold?

I'd clean the tb all the way....both sides if the butterfly, edges and the two ports behind it...see what you have.

Test/check/adjust the FITV, see what you have.

Are the tune up items up to date?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Have you looked for codes again? as PA asked.

Did the cleaning "show" an issue with the FITV?

Is the ECT not reading the engine is cold?

I'd clean the tb all the way....both sides if the butterfly, edges and the two ports behind it...see what you have.

Test/check/adjust the FITV, see what you have.

Are the tune up items up to date?
Still no codes.

The FITV makes a lot of sense. I think you are right.

Anyone chance this will work itself out? My car starts without ether now, and it's starting to idle at 1k RPM's.

Would it do any harm to reset my ECM? Considering I have new 02 sensor that aren't OEM, I wonder if it would have any bearing. I'm not sure how long the computer records the data of my driving habits. The past 2 weeks of data? The past year? All data since the last battery replacement?

Last edited by Hondahonda; 03-16-2012 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Clarification.

Quick Reply: 96' Accord -- Turns over but wont start