General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96' Custom Interior Lights?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:24 AM
Question 96' Custom Interior Lights?

So, this is a project I have wanted to undertake for quite some time, but I don't fully understand how to implement it.

I want to install custom LED lights on the interior of my car: Under the driver and passenger side specifically. (Like under the dashboard and glove box)

Forgive me for knowing next to nothing, the most extensive work I've done by myself is installing my own CD player, and now even that has gone awry.
(It worked great for months, but now my fuses keep blowing no matter how many times I replace them, and the CD Player nor the Cigarette lighter works as the result)

But back to the point: Could anybody be so kind as to point me in the right direction with this project? I drive a nice old beaten-up 96'.
(It actually wouldn't be bad at all if my neighbor hadn't backed up into it and left an ugly dent in the side of my door)

For reference, I'd like to install these:
7 Color 4pc LEDGlow LED Interior Lights Lighting Kit

Again, I don't really even know where to start with this, so treat me like you would your grandma.

Thanks so much!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

dude that kit looks really really easy to install.
The hardest part you are going to have is you will need to remove your center console and radio trim in order to get the lights from one side to the other.
While you have that apart you should find out why your cd player is not working as well.

I would recommend a 2 light kit as that kit with 4 lights will be too bright and cause you alot of glare which can make it unsafe to drive.

I have blue lights in in my footwells,I did not buy a kit, I just bought 2 LED strips from China for about $2.00 total and wired them in.

Name:  101_3735.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  17.8 KB

Old 01-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by crispin
dude that kit looks really really easy to install.
The hardest part you are going to have is you will need to remove your center console and radio trim in order to get the lights from one side to the other.
While you have that apart you should find out why your cd player is not working as well.

I would recommend a 2 light kit as that kit with 4 lights will be too bright and cause you alot of glare which can make it unsafe to drive.

I have blue lights in in my footwells,I did not buy a kit, I just bought 2 LED strips from China for about $2.00 total and wired them in.

I guess that's probably a better idea. I was slightly worried about the brightness.

I honestly just forget how everything is set up with my CD player down there, it was a pain to install because the wires to the fuse box were so old and fragile. I remember just barely getting some of the wires in; I used needle-nosed pliers to push a wire in the right spot at one point because it just wasn't going where it needed to go.

I honestly don't even know where these light LEDs need to go either; I thought all the wires in the console behind the CD player were just for that; the CD player and the cigarette lighter.

But I guess it might be easier if I get simple LEDs like you said, maybe there will be less connections or something.

I guess the only way to find out is to rip it open.