General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 EX power locks annoying

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 96 EX power locks annoying

I have replaced the main actuator in my drivers door, so that is a NEW part. After installing it, it wasn't working with the key(all unlock or all lock), that's fine, I don't care about that as long as they work with the button. Just like before with the old actuator in, the locks keep cycling on their own, parked. It will sit for 3-4 days or even longer and act normal, then out of the blue the locks will work with the key only they will start randomly cycling when parked, thus running the battery down. So, yesterday i walked by and they were doing it again. I took the friggin fuse out, screw it, no power locks for me. Anyone else ever dealt with this? There HAS to be a main controller in this car other than the actuator....

Old 05-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A sticking/shorting door key lock switch might cause this problem. Also the inside door lock switch (driver's side most likely) might cause this problem.

Power door lock control unit is in the driver's door. It could also cause same problem.

good luck

Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

This sounds identical to an actuator problem.

I think that any actuator can cause this problem. There is a fix for the actuator where you take it apart and glue the rubber back down.

Here is the thread: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...cycling-48713/

Old 05-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
This sounds identical to an actuator problem.

I think that any actuator can cause this problem. There is a fix for the actuator where you take it apart and glue the rubber back down.

Here is the thread: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...cycling-48713/
Brand new(not used) actuator replaced last week.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
A sticking/shorting door key lock switch might cause this problem. Also the inside door lock switch (driver's side most likely) might cause this problem.

Power door lock control unit is in the driver's door. It could also cause same problem.

good luck
I just ordered a control unit. I took mine out(finally found it), and it seems a couple of ribbons on the circuit board are corroded. This could be the problem. I hope!!!

Thanks!!!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

There is an actuator on each door. I think that a faulty actuator on any door can cause the problem you are having. That is why I suggested fixing the actuator. It sounds like you replaced the driver's only.

You could pull the door panels and unplug each actuator when the problem returns. Unplugging the faulty actuator should stop the locking problem. Hope this makes sense.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
There is an actuator on each door. I think that a faulty actuator on any door can cause the problem you are having. That is why I suggested fixing the actuator. It sounds like you replaced the driver's only.

You could pull the door panels and unplug each actuator when the problem returns. Unplugging the faulty actuator should stop the locking problem. Hope this makes sense.
Yep it makes sense. I was having an issue with the passengers rear, but I fixed that one. I only paid $20 for another control unit. Then after work I am going to unplug the drivers key lock switch. Or just pull the thing out of there and see if I can clean the contacts.

The hard part is it can go for a week and act normal, then out of the blue the key will work to unlock all doors(or lock them), BUT, that is followed by them cycling on their own, and that can happen at 2 in the morning, or 2 in the afternoon. When the key doesn't work to unlock all doors, they never cycle on their own. I am leaning towards key lock switch and or control unit.

Electrical issue are my least favorite car repair...

Appreciate the help and suggestions!

Old 05-14-2014, 08:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda

good luck
Unplugged the door key lock switch. Put the control unit back in, doing a trial run. I'm still replacing the control unit with the one I ordered. If the cycling stops, I am leaving the key switch unplugged. Thanks for the help!!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Changed the control unit and so far so good. Everything is operating normally. Hoping it stays that way and I solved the problem.

On a side note, I took the old unit apart and a lot of the computer board had corroded areas. This I think is what was causing the cycling and craziness.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Thanks for followup. Environment inside the door can't be the best place for electronics!

good luck