General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Speedo Repair...First Steps(Pics too)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Default 96 Speedo Repair...First Steps(Pics too)

I took the speedo/cluster out of the car today and I believe I found what may be wrong with the speedo unit.Until I repair it,Im not 100% sure if it will get fixed,but I did find some problems with it and wanted to share some pics with you all.

My speedo gets stuck on 18-20 mph and works only once in a long while.I even tried a new VSS just to eliminate the possibility and it did not fix this problem.

I am not worried too much about the repairs not being too successful,since it doesn't work much anymore,anyways,but it will not hurt to try or be be the guinea pig.

I believe I found the bad solders on the green circuit board that comes off the back of the speedo itself.I took pics the best I could with a a cell phone.

I will either attempt to repair this tonight or tomorrow.I am waiting on a online,electrical engineering friend to give me some extra advice before I go further with some other stuff I want to try,but for the time being,here is what I have found that may be similar to what many of these cars are experiencing.

If anyone sees,or thinks Im mistaken,please advise away.We are all here to help each other,and sometimes we make mistakes as well.

If the repair works,or not,will let you all know either way.

Here is the link to the pics and hope it works for ya.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=7ce7e96401

Old 09-20-2010, 12:54 AM

I wanted to update and tell you folks that my so called solder repairs did NOT fix the speedo problem.

Strange thing was,the speedo is now bouncing up and down at low speeds and then stay stuck on 19 or 20 mph.It leads me to think I probably made a slight connection somewhere it might be bad,but not sure where.It did NOT bounce up and down before.

Since Im throwing in the towel on soldering,Im asking a online friend if he will be interested in doing the re solder of this circuit board to see if it will fix the problem.He is a Pro,I am not.I already admit my solder experience did not do the job,even though on another digital dash years back,I was able to fix it.

Maybe I got lucky...will keep you all posted and see what comes of it all.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

From what I've seen on other forums and searches. The ones they usually talk about are the horizontal rows just above and below the balck ink stampings in your picks. There is some type of glue or something over those that has to be removed the re-solder. Again just what I've seen and read, never actaully had the issue or repaired it...knocking on wood right now. Please let us know what you find...Thanks

Old 09-21-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
From what I've seen on other forums and searches. The ones they usually talk about are the horizontal rows just above and below the balck ink stampings in your picks. There is some type of glue or something over those that has to be removed the re-solder. Again just what I've seen and read, never actaully had the issue or repaired it...knocking on wood right now. Please let us know what you find...Thanks
Ok thanks,thats good info to know! and will post back anything I find or can help with the problems.

I am sending the board out to a friend of mine that is way more capable of repairing and reflowing entire boards.Hes an engineer so he can take care of this for m.If it fixes the problem,will post more pics and what was done.
He also mentioned using rosinflux to repair the boards as well.I would rather not hack the board up IF it IS the problem.