General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 v6 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Default 96 v6 Accord

Ok, yes I know the CEL is on...but I'm rather positive it is not the issue.

I backed over a curb and my muffler got hung up and pulled about 8 feet of pipe off. Well the car ran, but sounded like crap and I limped home. It couldn't go over 3500 rpm.

Well, I wrecked my s2000 so I had to get the Accord back and running. I'm guessing the exhaust ripped off at what is the resonator, but honda called it something different. I got a guy to just weld a straight pipe and delete the part out. When we went to start it up, it kind of sounded like there was water in the gas tank or it was running on 2 cylinders.

After some reading, I swapped out the main fuel relay and it started up without issue and I took it out for a test drive. RPMs went above 3500 and everything seemed fine until I came to a stop and it stalled out with the water in the gas sound.

Not sure what else other than fuel pump could cause it to be doing this, unless the part of the exhaust has some magic properties that it must be on there. I've done resonator deletes on all sorts of cars without issue, but this might not be the same.

Any hints on where to look and what not?

Old 02-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Check the codes. Either use a scanner or short the service connector under the glove box. The plug for the scanner is behind the ashtray. For the service connector, the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link to check engine codes with details.

Also, how long did your car sit before you repaired the damaged exhaust?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:15 AM

It sat no more than about three weeks. I even added Heat, that fuel additive to remove any traces of water if there was some.

I know the CEL has always been on since I've owned the car. If I can get it to limp up to Autozone I'll get them to pull the codes again. I know one is a variable speed sensor, one is for the srs and antilock brakes.

I found a picture of what piece it ripped off at as well, not like hondaautomotiveparts.com names the part =/

Attached Thumbnails 96 v6 Accord-hondaexhaust.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

That part is called flexpipe. It uncouples vibration from rear pipe to catalytic cnverter. You may have damaged wiring to O2 sensors when the exhaust was damaged.

good luck

Old 02-11-2014, 07:53 AM

Dang, I didn't think about the wiring to the o2 sensor. Guess when it warms up into the 70s later this week I'll jack it up and take a look. Thanks, but by passing that part of the pipe shouldn't be an issue right?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:35 AM

I suspect you may be prone to cracking of welds due to vibration. Welding SS410 results in brittle, fatigue-sensitive welds and absence of flexpipe will increase flexing on welds. They may not last, but you never know they may

good luck

Old 02-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

The part he circled isn't the flexpipe. The flexible part is towards the aft end of #7. That enlarged part is a bellows covered up with SS braid.

The part he circled is the "B-pipe" which is kinda like a front muffler with connecting pipes.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:58 PM

Jim is right. I thought I remembered a flexpipe behind the converter.

good luck