General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 4-Cylinder Accord Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Default 97 4-Cylinder Accord Starting Issues

Hello All,

I am working on a 1997 Honda Accord, 4 cylinder automatic (4 door). I am seeking some words of experience and wisdom from this forum.

Problem statement: Car stalled while driving, does not want to start again. The engine cranks normally but does not start.

Stuff Done: Ran codes and it was throwing 0302 and 1399. I did the following.

1. Replaced spark plugs
2. Replaced spark plug wires
3. Replaced ignition coil
4. Replaced starter (solenoid and motor unit)
5. Replaced Main ignition relay
5. Replaced air filter.

Then I took a spark tester and verified all cylinders were getting spark.
The car starts once every 10 attempts and idles fine after warming up to normal operating temperature since these parts were replaced. However, as soon as I put it in drive it stalls again and back to square one.

I am thinking its probably a fuel problem and want to do the starter fluid test in the throttle body next. However, I am thinking I might end up having to replace the fuel pump. I researched but was unable to find pictures for the job. Any input is appreciated along with any pictures if you might have.

Thanks

Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

I would definitely try starter fluid and report back.

The fuel pump in 94-97 Accords is not a fun job. The tank has to be dropped to replace it.

If you want to avoid this you can cut a hole in the trunk and replace it from the top, but of course this isn't ideal

Old 04-09-2012, 01:44 PM

Definitely. I will do that after work today and update. However, I checked the codes just now and the SRS light blinked and gave me a code 51. I'm not really sure what that is or I'm reading it wrong. Everything stayed on and then the SRS light went off and blinked five times (slow) and once (quick). So I figured its a 51.

However, I can't find anything on the code.

CEL Check Engine Light

Old 04-09-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice
I would definitely try starter fluid and report back.

The fuel pump in 94-97 Accords is not a fun job. The tank has to be dropped to replace it.

If you want to avoid this you can cut a hole in the trunk and replace it from the top, but of course this isn't ideal
Here is the update. I sprayed starter fluid down the throttle body twice but the car didn't start.Then unscrewed the bolt on the fuel rail with the key in th ON position and fuel squirted out. It leads me to believe the fuel pump is working.

I also did the Ohm test on the injectors and they all read 2.54-2.56 Ohms. As a desperate attempt I took out the distributor and changed the direction of the rotor but that didn't help either and I changed it back.

I'm getting 5 long blinks and 1 short. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what to do next. Kindly help.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

The SRS light blinking is a problem with the SRS control unit. That is for your airbags and will not cause the car not to start.

Start with the simple stuff first.

Disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables and the bolts with a wire brush or a piece of sand paper.

Also, when were the distributor cap and distributor rotor last changed? Remove the distributor cap and look for worn contacts inside. Also inspect the rotor for any signs of wear.

Do you have a timing light?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 AM

iv read everything u have done and in alot of situations the DIY mechanic has to do is process of elimination,now if the car starts up fine with no problems but then dies *** soon as u put it in drive then that wuld guide me to the linkage?the throttle linkage and the accelerator cable,if ur engine is like mine(1993 Accord 2.2 auto)then the throttle and accelerator cable work insync and hooked together by the throttle cam at the throttle body,so with that i wuld check to see if the accelerator cable is adjusted properly?it wuld take me some time to explain to u how to do this so i wont explain but i will say to u to buy a haynes repair manual at autozone for $25 its a great investment that ur car wuld appreciate as well as give u more knowledge.good luck an let me know how it turns out.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The SRS light blinking is a problem with the SRS control unit. That is for your airbags and will not cause the car not to start.

Start with the simple stuff first.

Disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables and the bolts with a wire brush or a piece of sand paper.

Also, when were the distributor cap and distributor rotor last changed? Remove the distributor cap and look for worn contacts inside. Also inspect the rotor for any signs of wear.

Do you have a timing light?
Thanks for clarifying the blinking SRS light. I have already cleaned the battery terminals. I took the distributor to Advance auto parts and they took the cap off and did a visual inspection. It has no signs of wear and the rotor looks brand new.

I don't have a timing light but I can get one. I will research how to set timing for this car on this forum. I was also thinking of doing a compression test today, might be a vaccuum leak.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

A timing light is a better indicator of spark than a visual inspection. There was a thread a while back that took forever to solve, because he could see spark at the plug that looked good. It is harder for spark to jump under compression. However, when he put the timing light on the car, there were no flashes, so no spark.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
A timing light is a better indicator of spark than a visual inspection. There was a thread a while back that took forever to solve, because he could see spark at the plug that looked good. It is harder for spark to jump under compression. However, when he put the timing light on the car, there were no flashes, so no spark.
Update,

I got a timing light and it was strobing on all spark plug wires. I had a friend crank the car while I changed the timing with the distributor and it started every time. However, the timing marks on the crank pulley are all the same color (dirt). Tried cleaning those up but still the same. I think once I start it by moving the distributor, I can probably set the timing and hopefully it should all be good. I need to figure out a way to color the timing marks again.

Also I did a compression test and 1-4 read 170, 175, 175 and 177.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

There are four marks on the crank pulley. Three are close to each other and one is a bit further away.

Just use some white out on the edge, so you can see it with your timing light.