General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer doesn't work but odom/cruise control does

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Exclamation Speedometer doesn't work but odom/cruise control does

Does the speed sensor control all of the VSS ODOM and cruise control? Or could that be why my speedometer doesn't work.?

I've checked all fuses, and wiring.

The Odometer/Cruise Control works fine. Not the Speedometer.

It stays at 20 and bounces a little, but only goes to ZERO when turned off.

Any ideas?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

This is a very common problem. The circuit board on the speedometer is having some problems. You can replace the speedometer or repair some solder joints.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
This is a very common problem. The circuit board on the speedometer is having some problems. You can replace the speedometer or repair some solder joints.

Okay, the speedometer on the dash? Circuit board behind it? Just wanting to know so I can tell whomever I get to work on it. Basics as in the VSS I can do, but being circuit board I think I'll let someone else handle it.

Where would that be located and is that a costly part? And how easy or not so easy is it to replace time wise?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

The clusters in the 94-97 are pretty common for this. If the cruise control still works and there isnt a check engine light then the VSS should be good to go.

As PAhonda said, some have had luck with soldering the joints on the circuit board. Or you could just replace the entire cluster for $80 or so usually on ebay. But note that you will have to find a seller that can roll the mileage to match yours or find one that is close enough.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ralph
Okay, the speedometer on the dash? Circuit board behind it? Just wanting to know so I can tell whomever I get to work on it. Basics as in the VSS I can do, but being circuit board I think I'll let someone else handle it.

Where would that be located and is that a costly part? And how easy or not so easy is it to replace time wise?
The circuit board is directly behind the speedometer(you'll have to take the cluster out and take it apart).

I think if you could handle replacing a VSS then you could handle replacing the cluster with a used one.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have a used cluster that I can sell you for less then $80 shipped to you.
PM me if interested.
Like live2rice said, it is not too hard to change out, there is a write-up on this board that shows the steps required to replace it. IIRC the only tool necessary is a phillips screwdriver.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by crispin
I have a used cluster that I can sell you for less then $80 shipped to you.
PM me if interested.
Like live2rice said, it is not too hard to change out, there is a write-up on this board that shows the steps required to replace it. IIRC the only tool necessary is a phillips screwdriver.
Sweet, let me talk to my daughter and I will get back to you this weekend sometime. She is at work, works nights, don't get home till after 8am EST. And if this requires just a screwdriver, then I am extremely good to go.

Thanks everyone.

P.S. No the Check engine light has NEVER been an issue. But today I went and got engine cleaner, sprayed it down or soaked the engine rather let it set for 15 minutes as instructions said then washed it and rinsed it twice to make sure I got all the engine cleaner off. And proceeded to let it dry for about two hours in the sun. She takes off for work, calls me and says DAD my check engine light is flashing and then going off, and then again and again. She got scared. I told her it may be just temporary since I washed her engine completely. Anyway, I told her driving it will heat it all up and help it dry faster.

She has a very nice car but that Speedometer issue has cost her a $193.00 ticket last weekend going 55 in a 45 out in the middle of nowhere on our mountain. So we think getting this fixed asap is better than anymore tickets. :P

Last edited by Ralph; 04-12-2012 at 06:05 PM.