General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord A/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 02:29 AM
Default 97 Accord A/C

I'm not really sure where to start at.

Whenever I turn on the A/C, neither fan turns. To my understanding, the condensor fan (Driver Side?) And the rad. Fan runs when the fan is ran in the vehicle. However neither fan activates via the A/C panel.

The radiator fan runs after sitting a while or when I jump it but I cannot get the condensor fan to run, normally or by jumping through relay.

Would the fans need to run before the clutch would engage, because the clutch doesn't engage at all.

I've checked all fuses in car and under hood, what am I missing.

One thing to note, after using a test light to test the radiator fan, on pin 2 or 3, it illuminated, as to where it didn't with the cond. Fan relay. Any ideas?

Last edited by F22Bard; 04-20-2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:06 AM

The fans will only turn on when the compressor is cycled on...in terms of them turning on as a result of ac operation.

If the ac fan doesn't run at all, you should apply direct battery power using a test lead to the motor itself after disconnecting the connector. If the fan still doesn't run then the motor of the fan itself is bad.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a couple of issues.

First, if something is wrong with the AC system - low charge, bad pressure switch, ect - the fans will not come on when you press the ac button.

Next, sounds like "something" isn't right with one of the fans. Pull the connector (green ?) off Thermo A - on the t-stat housing where the lower hose connects to the engine.

Use a paper clip of piece of wire and jump the "wires" in the connector. Turn the key to "on"/pos II. Do BOTH fans run?

Old 04-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

The fans can turn on depending on the problem with the a/c. Start by troubleshooting the fans and follow poorman's instructions on jumping temp switch a.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, once again I was not clear...Thanks PA for correcting me.

Things like a bad compressor relay, compressor gap too large and a few others would allow BOTH fans to come on yet no cooling from the AC system.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:07 PM

Okay, jumped the green connector. Got the passenger fan running, no voltage or click to the condensor fan.

Ran a lead directly to the cond. Fan, and it works. But I don't get anything from it otherwise.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Can you swap the cond fan relay with the compressor relay and then re-test?

Old 04-21-2014, 12:04 PM

OK, swapped the relays, still no go. However I noticed, there are frayed wires from the wire harness leading back to the hole by the quarter panel. Red/Blu, Red/Wht and black, black being mostly missing, from melting.

Now, seeing as how the wires are tight anyway, would it be easier to just get a new wire harness.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:05 PM

I have a copy of the Helm shop manual for 1997 Honda Accord. I would be happy to email a copy of the troubleshooting flowchart if you are interested.

Sincerely

Old 04-21-2014, 01:51 PM

Bsdubois, if it makes more sense than the service manual I have, go for it. Thank you.