General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord A/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:46 PM

No it is not easier to get a new wiring harness. I recommend before doing anything else to braid splice new section(s) of wire in and wrap well with either heat shrink tubing or electrical tape and check to see if that fixes your problem.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Default Wiring harness

Originally Posted by F22Bard
OK, swapped the relays, still no go. However I noticed, there are frayed wires from the wire harness leading back to the hole by the quarter panel. Red/Blu, Red/Wht and black, black being mostly missing, from melting.

Now, seeing as how the wires are tight anyway, would it be easier to just get a new wire harness.
Is this the right wiring harness? The one I replaced comes out of the right side of the passenger compartment near the glove box. There is a white ground terminal that attaches with one bolt inside the passenger compartment. The wire threads through a hole with an oblong bushing. The wiring harness his held in place with white clips that attache to the underside of the fender. This attaches to the two turn signal bulbs, the front marker/turn signal in the front bumper, (there is a second white ground block with one bolt that attached near the bumper), the a/c pressure switch, and two heat sensor (one at the thermostat body and on on the front water intake pipe). This is from memory and I may have overlooked one or two connectors. The inner plastic fender molding must be removed to gain access to this part of the wiring harness. The part number for this harness is: 32100-SV4-A10 WIRE HARNESS, R. CABIN. Please verify this is the part you need and the part number is correct. Majestic Honda has a nice online site to look up parts. You may need another or different harness. The internal fender dropped down due to road debris and the wiring harness was abraded by the tire. The dealer was to have replaced the wiring harness. The attempted to tape it up and make it work. Several years later I had to replace it.

I hope this helps a little.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Default Sound suggestion

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
No it is not easier to get a new wiring harness. I recommend before doing anything else to braid splice new section(s) of wire in and wrap well with either heat shrink tubing or electrical tape and check to see if that fixes your problem.
I forgot one item in the post below and I did not see this post before I submitted mine. This is an excellent idea to splice in replacement wire where the bundle is burnt together. You need to determine the cause of the melted harness. If you do not learn the cause and correct it, then you stand a good chance of burning up the new harness. Find the cause of the overheating. My harness overheated due to salty water from road salt entering the taped up harness the dealer left me with. This mess caused my ac switch to burn up. It may have caused trouble with the fan controller and possible damage to the ECU/main brain.

I am still running down electrical ghosts and I have not discovered all the issues.

Sincerely,

Old 04-22-2014, 03:28 AM

The fan doesn't just run when you turn the ac on. The ac system has to be functioning and it will only turn on when the compressor is cycled on.

First check the ac pressure switch for continuity. If no continuity, then you don't have enough refrigerant in the system for the system to even try to run.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:37 AM

Bsdubois, it is actually the wire harness going into the driver side QP. As far as the fraying, I will assume rats, because I live out in the country. I will still investigate it, is it as easy as dropping the QP and soldering, crimping them together?

Wasn't there a recall for a wire harness problem on the 94-97 accords?

Holmesnmanny, the wires melted, I noted were one that comes from the pressure switch, and one going into the relay for the A/C relay behind the radiator fan relay. So more than likely, that why neither will run.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:25 PM

oh ok ..feel free to keep us updated.