General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio will only work when the car is running

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Default Radio will only work when the car is running

I have a 08 Honda Accord coupe v6 with Navigation

Recently, my radio will not work in accessory or ON mode , it will only work when the car is running. Even the Aux mode to my iPod will only work if the car is running.

Also, quite a few times I have had to enter the navigation system password , as if it was reset or something was disconnected.

Once the car is running, everything works as it should.

I just put a new battery in , thinking that was the problem but it did not help.

It is not a big deal, but rather annoying and I would like to know why ?
Normally you can listen to the radio without the car actually running...

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

You may have a blown fuse. Check interior driver's side Fuse No. 18 (7.5A).

Old 04-11-2014, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
You may have a blown fuse. Check interior driver's side Fuse No. 18 (7.5A).
Thanks for the response. I checked it along with many others but they all look good. I checked practically every fuse in the fuse box under the hood as well, including the multi ones that needed a screwdriver...

After just playing around for 2 hours with it , it turns out the navigation system and radio are supposed to come on in accessory/ on mode(thought it was just radio... Never really paid attention to that). Now,once every few try's the nav system will come in but it flashes in and out like it's not getting enough juice to fully come on, as well as the radio at the same time. I checked all the fuses in all 3 box , anyone know if there is some kind of "accessory wire " for the radio / nav system that could be loose?
I don't understand because when the car is running everything works 100%

Old 04-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Perhaps a failing ignition switch assy. Hondas are notorious for this problem.

Check purple wire w/ keyswitch in On position. If does not have 12V, the keyswitch is likely source of problem.

good luck

Old 04-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Wiggle the key when you check that wire for voltage. Sounds like it's flaky, so if it happens to make good contact when you measure, you'll waste time looking for other causes.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Perhaps a failing ignition switch assy. Hondas are notorious for this problem.

Check purple wire w/ keyswitch in On position. If does not have 12V, the keyswitch is likely source of problem.

good luck
Where exactly is this purple wire ? I don't really savvy much when it comes to cars / electrical stuff.

Would auto zone or advanced auto parts be able to check it ?

Thanks !

Old 04-11-2014, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Wiggle the key when you check that wire for voltage. Sounds like it's flaky, so if it happens to make good contact when you measure, you'll waste time looking for other causes.
Thank you!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by 45sz
Where exactly is this purple wire ? I don't really savvy much when it comes to cars / electrical stuff.

Would auto zone or advanced auto parts be able to check it ?

Thanks !
Driver's under dash fuse box or passenger under dash fuse box. It should be visible in harness to these units. You will need a back probe pin to make contact.

It ultimately connects to audio unit, but you'll have to pull panel trim to access audio unit.

good luck

Old 04-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Power for the purple wire comes through driver's Fuse 18 (7.5) with the ignition turned to ACC or ON. Therefore, you can just test for power at the fuse with the ignition turned to ACC or ON; without necessarily having to locate the purple wire to see if it may be related to the ignition switch.

Last edited by redbull-1; 04-12-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Power for the purple wire comes through driver's Fuse 18 (7.5) with the ignition turned to ACC or ON. Therefore, you can just test for power at the fuse with the ignition turned to ACC or ON; without necessarily having to locate the purple wire to see if it may be related to the ignition switch.
Thank you!

I'll post back once I know

Quick Reply: Radio will only work when the car is running