General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Accord A/c not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Default 97 Accord A/c not working

ok i have a 97 accord se, the a/c is not working, when i turn it on the fan doesnt come on at all, but i think the compressor belt turns. the heat works though. I have checked the fuses and relays and i think they are ok. im frustrated because its HOT and I need a/c cause i have a little one. if anyone could help me please do!!! how do i know its the compressor? how do i know its the A/c switch?

NOTE: my front passenger wheel well cover came off and the wire harness rubbed against the tire, would that have to do anything with it? but I check and its just the front headlights and radiator fan that are on the front passenger side, would that cause my a/c to not work?

Last edited by ayang; 06-30-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

Was the a/c working before the wiring harness got damaged?

Old 07-01-2011, 06:49 AM

yes ac was working fine before harness got damage

Old 07-01-2011, 08:08 AM

Does the compressor engage? When you turn on the A/C you'll hear a click if the hood is up and see the center of the compressor start to turn. If the A/C is off, the center of the compressor will not turn. Thats a simple place to start.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ayang
yes ac was working fine before harness got damage

Either need to repair or replace that harnes.....don't have any of my manuals handy, I believe the ground and one of the power wires run in that harnes.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:19 AM

which wires? ground and power? what color are those two wires? they run along the passenger front right?

Old 07-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

I'm traveling so I don't have any diagrams. There is a Common DIY Threads, second from the top. In that there is a link to a manual you can download.

You could start by testing the wires to both the AC compressor and the Cond fan relays. They both have a white wire that is "hot" at all times (fused from underhood fuse box-right/pass side). Check the other three to each relay, note which wire has what voltage/resistance to ground.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are wires that run to AC pressure switch and radiator (pax side) fan. These are likely damaged and will require some wire splicing.

If you intend to DIY, download the 94-97 Accord manual from Online Manuals links in DIY forum. This has wire colors, pressure switch location diagram, etc.

good luck

Old 07-05-2011, 09:26 AM

can you find me the correct diagrams, i am really bad at looking up these things...

Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
There is a Common DIY Threads, second from the top. In that there is a link to a manual you can download..
This link will have all of the information you need. Once downloaded there are two PDF files. The smaller one has the wire diagrams, it will have the colors (is is for a 94 but they shoould be correct for your 97). It is the same one I have on my computer at home.

and I thought more last night, but TX beat me to it. The AC Switch is under the battery on the AC line....I'd pull the two wires off the switch, one side should have 12v, the other should have zero resistance to ground. if not....note the wire colors at the pins, check the damaged part of the harness, find these wires and repair.

Quick Reply: 97 Accord A/c not working