General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Accord - Car idles sluggish when A/C is on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Default 97 Accord - Car idles sluggish when A/C is on?

Hi again...

I guess this is more of a "I want to know why" kinda of question because this always seems to happen to cars as they get older...at least with all of mine! LOL

My car runs great right now and idling is beautiful. You can hardly even tell the car is on. I never have cut outs or any kinda of sluggish performance...that is until I turn on the A/C.

Now, I am well aware of the extra load the compressor puts on the engine but something still seems wrong to me. When I come to stop signs it feels like my car is going to rattle apart and die on me. It never does die but feels like it could and it bothers me. Why? Because I can almost bet when this car was brand new it didn't do that so why now? I have no idea how age can cause something like that to happen when everything is running smoothly??? The only thing I can think of is maybe my idle is set to low but it sure idles great when the A/C is not on.

Any ideas or thoughts on this. I would like to get rid of the problem if possible.

Thanks for all who reply ;-)

peace out,
daddy

Last edited by daddy; 08-31-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

I know you had other posts on here. What repairs have you done on this car?

What rpm does the car idle at when the a/c is turned off?

Old 08-29-2011, 02:12 PM

My car does the same thing, but I don't mind because I never use my A/C I have always wondered why it does this but I've never asked. I guess I'll keep an eye on this thread and hope someone comes along with an answer!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

After checking/answering PA's questions.

Extra load, check/clean the IAC.

Peli- yours is an auto, the rear mount has a vac solenoid that activates when the ac is on.....

Would suggest both of you inspect the mounts. Peli-you just have an extra step.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 PM

I will definitely do that soon, maybe Wednesday. My only question is do I just let gravity do its work on the coolant when I'm draining it or should I chase it with some water?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Peli_Huh? Are you talking about the lines to the FITV? Not sure how we got from mounts, IAC, checking for vac and or solenoids at the rear mount to coolant bleeding/flushing.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 PM

In this thread https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...cord-ex-22496/ Finch says to drain the coolant before doing the IAC unless I'm reading it wrong. While it is the generation after mine, I don't think all that much would have changed, would it? I mean I should be able to apply the same basic concepts and use some common sense to get this done.

Last edited by Peli; 08-29-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

The IACV has coolant in it. You can do it a few different ways:
- allow the coolant to spill when you disconnect the hoses
- drain a bit just so it's down far enough it doesn't make a mess - then top it up
- use the excuse to completely drain & fill with fresh coolant

Old 08-30-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The IACV has coolant in it. You can do it a few different ways:
- allow the coolant to spill when you disconnect the hoses
- drain a bit just so it's down far enough it doesn't make a mess - then top it up
- use the excuse to completely drain & fill with fresh coolant
I think I'll go with option three, it's due for a change anyway. Maybe I'll give it a flush as well. Does one have to use DI water for a coolant flush?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

I've always used distilled water, not DI water.

You can flush with a garden hose till it runs clear. Then drain & rinse with distilled water, maybe 2x. You can't drain it completely, so I use the spec value for total capacity (almost 2 gallons?) add 1/2 of that volume antifreeze, then top up with distilled water. You'll find probably only room for 1 or 2 quarts of distilled water at the end. That's because about 2 quarts of your last rinse was still in there.

Quick Reply: 97 Accord - Car idles sluggish when A/C is on?