General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord Ex 4cyl slow acceler. & transmission quirks

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question 97 Accord Ex 4cyl slow acceler. & transmission quirks

Hello...

This is my first thread since joining the site. I bought an automatic 97 Accord Ex about 6 months ago. It's been extremely reliable so far but want to fix it up nicely. Aside of minor issues, I'm concerned about a few issues that I'm not able to identify exactly...

The issues I have are: slow/sluggish acceleration & transmission quirks...

The D4 light is out. Will not light up or flash ever. All the other D lights on the dash work when in gear, just never D4. When cold, it "slips" but when it is supposed to shift, it quickly over accelerates at a faster rate than ever, then, shifts. I have checked the transmission fluid level and it is okay on the dipstick. The one repair performed was to replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, control arms, and sway bar links (due to extreme dry rotted noise) and was informed the trans was leaking a very little amount.

Oh, and almost forgot this noise ... I'm thinking its the transmission... as the car "hums" along when moving. When I recorded it on my phone, it sounds similiar to a low racecar hum or buzz. Car doesn't make the sound when parked or stationary. The man I bought it from informed me the one axel was replaced.

The car feels normal when revved in place but when driving, when I try to highway merge, or pull out quickly in traffic, it's ******* along...

Thanks in advance everyone

Last edited by USEDBLACKSTAR; 09-12-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: text formatting
Old 03-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Your car has the standard OBD2 connector behind the ashtray. I would stop by a parts store and have them read the codes. Post any codes on here. They start with the letter P and have four numbers, like P1234.

Are any of these maintenance items due for a change: spark plugs, distributor cap, distributor rotor, air filter? When was the transmission fluid changed?

Some common items that you may want to try.

Remove the snorkel from the throttle body and clean the inside of the throttle body and both sides of the throttle plate.

Clean the EGR ports. See the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a link to EGR port cleaning.

There are two cables that you may want to adjust. One is the accelerator cable that goes to the throttle body. There is another cable that goes from the throttle body to the transmission. There is an adjustment bolt that will take up the slack in the cable. Search for v=rawvJop772E on YouTube on how to do the cable from the accelerator. The transmission one will be similar. Make sure that there is some slack in the cable, like the video shows.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The humming sound was my right wheel bearing. That's why it would get worse depending on my wheel speed. As far as the slow/sluggishness, I've been just dealing with it. It's not too too bad that I can't drive it. I'll keep it posted when I'm in a position to work on the engine componets more.