General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord EX 4dr. ABS failing. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:30 AM
aaciii
Unregistered
Default 97 Accord EX 4dr. ABS failing. Help?

Hello all. I have read the various posts in the forum (and let me say "thanks" for all the info in advance) and I am still in need of some help. I will tell the tale below - please inject your thoughts or conrrections to my assumptions.

My 97 Accord has been making the "buzzing" sound for many months, maybe years. I now know that it has most likely been the ABS pump re-pressurizing the ABS system.

Frequency of the buzzing has increased to the point that I realy notice it - happens every 10-15 minutes or so, I would estimate. I only noticed it when at a stop, but now I realize it happens when I am moving also (the pump sound is justmuffled by the engine/road vibration).

Today however the ABS light came on and is staying on. So I started reading here about ABS.

I have not seen any signs of leaking (no spots on the garage floor). So I had not suspected a leak in the system. Now I am not so sure. I had the brakes redone a year or so ago, by the dealer - so I do not suspect any issues with the primary braking system. The brakes work fine.

My questions:

1. In a 97 accord, how can I get a diagnostic code on the ABS. Where do I look and is it even possible without a repair show computer. please be precise in explaining this and where to find the needed access points.

2. Is there a precise description of how to re-seal the ABS modulator somewhere? I fear the dealer will jerk me around on this, preferring to replace the ABS components. I want to be able to show them evidence of the ability to reseal the system.

3. Is there a detailed description of the ABS system and its components that I can reference?

Thank you in advance!

Old 12-29-2006, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 Accord EX 4dr. ABS failing. Help?

Okay the first thing is to get the code, jumper the service connector [link below] turn on the key and the code will flash in 2 parts. Main system and subsystem flashes
http://members.troublecodes.net/hond...ice%20conn.jpg
Primary brake system work is of no concern now, but thanks for the info

So while we wait for the code
The Accumulator is the round tube on the side of the unit, look for fluid seeping out from under the label. You can actually press around on it and find where the weep hole is. Also there is an 'O' ring at the bottom of it that will seep. Check down low too.
Another place that can seep sometimes is the plugs in the back of the unit[fender side]

Now the bad news; I've seen lots of those unitshave bad check valves inside the unit that lets the fluid bleed back to the reservoir. Nobody has the replacement check valve, I even tried to interest a local machine shop.
Unit replacement is required. Salvage yard isone way to go
The way to prove the check valve is bad is to remove the big relay from the underhood ABS fuse box, jumper the larger connections until you hear the pump working hard to build pressure, have some one quickly mark the fluid level, then wait 5 minutes to see if the fluid level rises back up.
If you do decide or need to swap out the unit, have a few cans of spray brake clean on hand and a couple rolls of those blue paper towels, it makes a real mess and brake fluid will eat the paint if left on the surface overnight.