General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 accord lx oil drip

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:06 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 97 accord lx oil drip

Hi guys I noticed that after I drive my 97 lx 5speed there is an oil drip coming from around where the timing belt is located. I believe it only leaks when the engine is running because after I park it the drip will stop. I didnt think it was a bad drip and after checking the oil every day it didnt loose much but then I took it on the highway for about 90 miles with the rpms running high driving a little more agressivley and when I checked the oil I was shocked to see it just at the tip of the dipstick. Thats when I noticed at high rpms it consumes alot of oil. Any ideas of the cause?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

I'd take off the upper timing cover and have a look around. You might have to clean it up then watch to see exactly where the oil is leaking.

If the timing belt is getting oily, that'll shorten it's life span.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok I will try that. I did see some oil on the outside of the cover not sure if its just splashing up from the the bottom.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you don't see evidence up top of oil leaks (camshaft seal, forward balance shaft seal), then leak is likely on bottom; rear balance shaft seal or crankshaft seal.

The most likely leak candidate is the rear balance shaft cover seal (a complex oring seal). It hardens w/ age and inevitably begins to leak oil, exiting the bottom of the lower timing belt cover.

Bad news is replacement requires all the steps associated w/ timing belt replacement, so repair will be fairly expensive if you're paying someone.

You might as well replace TB, water pump, tensioners if they're over 60-70K miles.

good luck

Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM

Wasn't that balance shaft seal an issue on the Gen 5s? Or was that just the earlier models.
I know my '94 popped that seal right after I bought it.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

What do you think is causing it to loose oil at high rpms? Because the leak is only making a small 5in diameter stain you cant even see it drip I think its only after the car runs.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:03 PM

Check PS fluid and AC compressor for shaft leak. Is bottom of lower TB cover dripping?

good luck

Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have been looking at the ps level and it hasnt gone down. I havent gotten a chance to get under and take a look but it is does look to be dripping by the ac compessor but I do see some oil stains on the outside of the timing cover kind of high up around the center of it. Timing and water pump was replaced at 70k it now has 150k.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 AM

When AC compressor shaft seal leaks, oil is slung out from the pulley and creates a oily/dirty ring around the clutch pulley rotation plane. It's fairly obvious w/ a good light.

Adding a UV dye to the oil can help to identify the path of an oil leak w/ a good UV light to illuminate.

good luck

Old 02-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok thanks I took a better look and I think its coming from where the biggest pulley is at the bottom of the motor and it drips just on the corner of the plastic water gaurd and then hits the ground.

Quick Reply: 97 accord lx oil drip