General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord not running after sitting 2 wks

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 97 Accord not running after sitting 2 wks

4cyl, auto trans. After sitting I can drive it for ~5 min and it dies. Not an instant death, but it only sputters like 2-3 times. After it dies, it will NOT start at all until it cools down completely and even then it sputters a lot before it starts. Once it's started, it idles fine in park but sputters under an average load on the throttle and dies. Afaik, the only codes thrown are an O2 sensor which I assume was cat related but now i'm not sure. Code is a P0420. What should I test? I need this car back badly...

EDIT: Just to update, main relay was replaced, still wont start.

A little history; the car did this a year ago too after sitting for a month but it started back up eventually and ran fine for months. I don't know if this helps, but I know it's something deeper than basic tuneup stuff.

Won't start with starter fluid being sprayed into the intake and vacuum hose.

Last edited by wade3673; 07-20-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

The no start until it cools may be due to the main relay. If it is the main relay, usually, resoldering the solder joints on the main relay fixes it.

The P0420 trouble code is probably unrelated.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

why would a relay cause this issue? It seems like such a trivial part to cause this. Where is it located and how can I test to see if it needs to be repaired or replaced?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Lets start with the basics.

Has any work been done recently on your car?

Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light turns on for the bulb check, the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds. It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc... and listen carefully. Let us know if this sound is present or missing when the car will not start. You may have to get an assistant, remove the gas cap, and listen where you fill the tank.

Also, how many miles are on the normal tuneup items? That would be the distributor cap, distributor rotor, spark plugs (what brand?), and air filter?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

It may be the main relay or some other cause.

PGM-FI Main Relay
It operates the fuel pump and supplies power to the fuel injectors. It can fail due to cracked solder, which results in intermittent/nonexistent current flow to the fuel pump or the injectors.
How the Main Relay works

Main relay symptoms are:
Car won't start when hot.
Car does not start after parked for just a minute.
Car starts but quickly dies.
Windows have been rolled up on a hot day when problem occurred.
The heater was on before turning the car off.
No (humming) sound from the fuel pump the moment the ignition switches ON.
Check engine light comes on (rare cases) or stays on longer than usual and/or no sparks (electronic timing only.)
10-15 of waiting and the car pushed to a shade, will usually start.

Attached are pictures of the main relay location on your car and testing procedure.

Attached Thumbnails 97 Accord not running after sitting 2 wks-main-relay-location.jpg   97 Accord not running after sitting 2 wks-main-relay.jpg   97 Accord not running after sitting 2 wks-testing-main-relay.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I thought I tested the relay correctly but after I installed the new one my car still wont start. Doesn't matter though because I think I screwed up the original one anyways.

So any other ideas guys? It ran fine before it sat for 2 weeks... It did this before like a year ago after sitting for a month also. I wish I knew more about this stuff, but I don't work on cars very often. I don't have the money to take it to a shop otherwise it would have been there by now.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

See my previous post about some basic items.

How do you think you screwed up the installation of the relay?

Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 AM

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...hen-hot-48102/

Check this thread as I had to deal with this and went through every possibility.

Get a can of ether and when it stalls have someone spray it directly into the throttlebody while you are cranking the engine. If it fires you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't you have a spark problem.

then we can go from there.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the car over its like a lil tick?? Make sure to test all your fuses i had the same problem and the only thing it was was a fuse check all your fuses under driver side they might look good but they could still be bad so i def say check your fuses.

Last edited by hondachic; 07-18-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
See my previous post about some basic items.

How do you think you screwed up the installation of the relay?
All of the basic maintenance stuff is fine. The car drove well before I went out of town for a couple of weeks. Got 30+ mpg.

I didn't screw up the install, I screwed up the old one testing it. I hooked up a couple of jumper wires off the battery, put them to the proper pins and tested continuity of the other pins just like the guide said, but the wires got hot and sparked. The brief time I did have it hooked up though, my meter had no continuity reading.

Silver, I checked out your thread but my problems are quite different than yours. Thanks for the info though.

The fuel pump sounds fine, I had my gf turn the key and I heard it run for 2 seconds. I haven't tested fuel pressure.

Quick Reply: 97 Accord not running after sitting 2 wks