General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Default 97 Accord stalling

Hello all,

This is my first post I have been lurking for a while. Lots of great info around here so thanks in advance for your help.

My 97 Accord dies out once in a while and starts right back up. It will die anytime at a light or on the freeway, doesnt matter. The tach will start moving around and then it turns off. It seems to only happen when its warm/hot outside. Now that the weather has cooled off it hasnt happened in a while. Any help is greatly appreaciated.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Does your check engine light come on? You should stop by autozone and have them scan for codes just to ensure that no codes are stored on the ECU. Post any codes on here. The start with P and have 4 numbers.

The connector is behind your ash tray.

Can you get the car to stall by shaking the key when you are driving?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Also, are you maintenance items up to date, like spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, etc...

Old 01-26-2010, 06:59 PM

The check engine light does not come on and I tryed shaking the key around but nothing happened. The car is not up to date on maintenance items but it runs like a champ.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Before diagnosing any stalling problem, you need to get those maintenance items up to date. Those parts do wear out over time and can cause stalling problems.

Stop by a parts store and have them read the code(s) while you are there. Also pick up spark plugs (cost ~$6, get NGK ZFR5F-11). Those are the copper V-Power ones. A distributor cap and rotor are probably around $25.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:47 PM

OK my maintenance items are done. Still having the same problem. The check engine light is now on but it never came on before so it may not be related. I stoped by autozone they cannot check for codes anymore here in CA.

I did notice the check engine light flickering right before the car dies then the light goes off when it dies.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Camshaft sensor or crankshaft sensor

Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, what do people do in California? Check other chain-stores like PepBoys or PartsAmerica??

I'd want to read the code not just guess.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Your 97 accord will have just the blue 2-pin connector under the glove box, and not the 3-pin connector next to it in the link below for instructions. Just replace [dot] with a .

All you have to do is short it with a thin paperclip or a piece of wire and follow the instructions to get the code(s) the OBD1 way.

www[dot]dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Old 04-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by g_mac2112
OK my maintenance items are done. Still having the same problem. The check engine light is now on but it never came on before so it may not be related. I stoped by autozone they cannot check for codes anymore here in CA.

I did notice the check engine light flickering right before the car dies then the light goes off when it dies.
I cant hardly believe that AutoZone cant check codes in your state.
Go on there website and ask that question in there..
Let me know...

Quick Reply: 97 Accord stalling