General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 accord wagon rear struts replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Default 97 accord wagon rear struts replacement

Just got 97 accord wagon this week, Needs new struts on the rear, I picked them up today and Im going to try to get them on this weekend,I got the ones with the springs already on them, They told me they just bolt on in place of the other ones, Just like to have a little how to help from some one that has done it before, Thanks in advance for any help..‹(•¿•)›

Old 10-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Here are the steps to replace. Break the lug nuts loose. Put the back of the car on jack stands, then remove the tires. Remove the bolts holding the brake lines and/or the ABS sensor from the strut. Access the top of the strut assembly from inside the car and remove the two nuts. Remove the lower bolts and remove the entire assembly.

Installation is the reverse. I suggest going to the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. Open the online shop manuals link. The hondatech link has a 94 shop manual that you can download with the instructions.

The hardest part will be removing the lower bolt. Odds are that the lower bolt will be rusted to the welded nut on the strut assembly or rusted to the inner metal part of the lower bushing. I highly suggest using PB blaster on the bolt and trying an impact wrench on that bolt. Heat may be necessary.

I tried using a breaker bar with a pipe over top of that bolt to get leverage and broke the head of the bolt off. This will make for a miserable weekend, because you will have to replace that lower bushing. That was the last straw with my 95 accord, and one of the reasons that I got my TSX. When I first replaced my shocks that bolt came out with an air impact wrench. I didn't have access to one when I did my rear shocks.