General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 ex heater control stays on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Default 97 ex heater control stays on?

Well my gf has a 97 accord ex, she has had it for over 3months(bought from private seller) no problems. Well lately her battery has been dying, took it up to a shop where they told us the heater motor and control panel is staying on even tho the keys are not in the ignition, they checked starter,alternator,battery. They wont touch it cause of an aftermarket alarm/remote start. Took it to mickey shorre and they checked it and the remote start checked out ok.
They checked some of the fuses and we even pulled a couple for the heater but the lights stayed on, they even cut a yellow and black wire under the dash thats for the heater control i believe and it still stayed on.

We drove it down the street after they couldnt find anything and parked it and the lights went off, got home lights stayed off. checked on it 2 hours later...they were back on and draining the battery.

Any ideas where to start? Could it be a bad on/off switch for the heater or a bad control panel(panel that changes where the air comes out of)?

I have no clue where to start with it, hopefully this made some sense to someone or maybe someone ran into the same issue somehow.

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Which lights are turning on at the heater panel?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:13 PM

the mode select buttons(top vent,feet, face etc, think its like 5 buttons total), and the button to the left of the a/c, i believe its the air from inside cabin/air outside cabin button(not anywhere near the car to say what exact button is but pretty sure its those ones.

Pretty much that panel comes and stays on and drains power regardless of the air being turn to the off position and keys outside ignition.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Just to be clear, is air blowing out of the vents too? In other words, does the blower motor also turn on?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

If there is air blowing out of the vents, can you turn off the air by moving the **** to off?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 PM

When the car is turned off the panel stays lit and drains the battery, no air comes out and it stays on even when the **** is turned to the off position. I have not tried turning the **** to the on postion to see if air does blow when the car is off tho.

We havent had a problem for 3 months(time we have owned it) or so and just over night this happened.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Check to see if the air starts blowing when you turn it to 1-4 with the key out of the ignition when those other lights are on. It is part of the circuit that I think is getting power and draining your battery.

If you pull the #8 fuse out of the fuse box under the driver's dash, that should stop power from getting to that circuit. Let us know if it does. See attached pic for location. It is a 7.5 amp fuse should be labeled heater blower or something like that.

If the battery stays charged over night after you have to pull that fuse, then we can start working backwards to figure out the problem.

The problem will likely be your remote start/alarm system. They can cause all kinds of weird problems when they start to fail.

Also, stop by an autoparts store or a shop and have them test the alternator and battery. A failing battery could screw up the alarm system.

Attached Thumbnails 97 ex heater control stays on?-fuse.jpg  
Old 03-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

I'm wondering about the wisdom of having the remote start.
What use is it if the battery is dead?

Old 03-05-2010, 03:44 PM

Tried turning the **** to 1-4 and no air blows out

pulled the number 8 fuse and nothing, pulled blower motor relay and nothing. The heater/ac control panel stays lit

remote start is unplugged/not hooked up at all till everythings figured out, battery(1month old) alternator and starter have all tested fine.

Also noticed that the low temp fan will turn on as well then stop and you can hear a slight busing noise(like if you put a light switch right between on and off)

Old 03-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

The heater control panel is not getting power from its normal source (the #8 fuse). Which can only mean that voltage is getting there trough some other route.

Are all the splices removed for the remote starter as well? Shoddy electrical work could be causing a short in the system.

This could be a loose or corroded ground problem. Ground problems can cause some very strange electrical problems. I would check G402 and G404. Also check G401 and G403 while you are at it. Those are the grounding bolts for those systems. They may be a pain to reach.

To find the location, go to the online manuals link in the DIY section and get the 94 shop manual from the spoon link I posted. Under the electrical section, there is a wire harness and ground location section that will show you were those bolts are located.

Quick Reply: 97 ex heater control stays on?