General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Honda Accord ex V6 replaces plugs, wont' start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 AM
Unhappy 97 Honda Accord ex V6 replaces plugs, wont' start

my car is a 97 honda accord ex v6 4d. I've had my car since 2008, and have had no major servicing done besides the usual oil changes, and replaced some hoses linked to my radiator. Recently, my car has been running a bit rough, and for about a month now there has been some whirring noises coming from around where my alternator and driving belts are. My front passenger side light bulb went out, so I changed it, and soon after i tried to start my car to make sure the lights worked, the car wouldn't start, check engine light popped on and it would turn over and almost start, but wouldnt. Thinking new spark plugs are what I needed, I bought 6 new E3 spark plugs, installed them, and STILL the car would do the same thing. Sounds as though it really wants to start, but doesnt get enough power to do so. The check engine light looked as though it had turned off after I replaced the spark plugs, but now when i try to start the car, the battery light comes on. I checked the battery, and its good.In the past I had trouble with my alternator, and I dont have a machine or tester to check if it could be my alternator. Not to mention I just tried jumping my car to see if it could be the alternator, and still the same thing happens. My mom said she heard a clicking sound coming from the side where my alternator is. Can someone help? It frustrates me not knowing whats wrong with my honda.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Use one of your old spark plugs to check for spark.
How many miles on this creampuff? Has the timing belt ever been changed ?
You could look at the passenger side kick panel for a BLUE 2 pin connector and jumper it to look for check engine light flashes with the key on.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Maybe, but the only way to know for sure is to check out the battery, solenoid and starter. If you hear a clicking noise, it means voltage is getting through to the solenoid. But there may not be enough voltage to spin the starter. So start with the battery and cables.
Is the battery at full charge? Are the battery cables clean and tight? Be sure to check both ends. Are the other electrical connections at the solenoid and starter clean and tight? It doesn't take much corrosion to choke off the flow of amps to the starter.
Next, check the wiring connections on the solenoid and starter. Are they clean and tight? Also check the solenoid ground connection or its mounting. Rust or corrosion here can interfere with the flow of amps, too.
Try bypassing the solenoid to see if the starter spins. If it spins, the problem is excessive resistance in the solenoid. Replace the solenoid. If the starter doesn't spin, or turns very slowly, however, the starter is dragging and needs to be replaced.
I would start off with finding the codes, but ^this could be done now.. if you want

Old 01-12-2013, 12:52 PM

my honda has 211,000 miles on it and i do not know if the timing belt has been changed because i purchased it at 160,000 miles and never asked it they changed it. also, there was a clicking sound from somewhere near the alternator. but not sure where. It's odd that the car almost feels like it wants to start, but just wont get that last kick to start up. Could it also be the spark plugs? i didn't change the wiring, just the plugs. I also had a friend who had checked the codes and the codes which came up wereP0301, P0304, P1300, and P1399. (which he said was the more serious one, because the others were just misfires)

Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

What did the spark look like?

If you haven't done much on Maint, pull the dist cap and inspect the contact on the cap and rotor.....also while the cap is off, spin the starter and be sure the rotor is turning.

When you turn the key to on.....does the cel light come on for a few seconds (listen for the fuel pump to prime) and then turn off?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

W/ that many miles and possible no timing belt replacement, suggest you check crankshaft/camshaft alignment before proceeding.

Align crankshaft pointer to timing mark for 0 degrees (TDC). Remove each upper timing belt cover and check that camshaft sprockets marks are aligned w/ engine or rear cover marks. You will need a shop manual to find the the timing marks.

If misalignment is present, you will need mechanics help to inspect for damage, restore timing (new timing belt, tensioner, water pump, etc) and get engine running.

good luck