General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Honda Accord LX not starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Default 97 Honda Accord LX not starting

Hello, I searched around on the forum for this but I didn't see anything. My friends Honda will not start. She tried starting it and I saw arcing coming from the spark plug wires and distributor cap. So I replaced wires, cap and rotor. I do not hear any hum or any thing coming from the fuel pump when she turns the key so I thought possibly the fuel pump. I have been researching and found the ignition coil could cause a no start as well. What I have narrowed it down to is either:
A: Fuel Pump
B: Ignition coil

I am going to test the coil by pulling a plug and having her try to start the car and look for spark, I assume if there is spark the coil is still good. That would narrow it to the Fuel pump.
I sprayed starting fluid into the intake and when she tried to start it the car did make a sound like it tried to fire but didn't, that is why I thought possible ignition coil. But I did not test the plugs, I am going to do that tomorrow when I can work on her car again.
When she tries to start the car it does sound like it is trying to get gas but can't so that is why I also think it is the fuel pump.

Those are my thoughts but I would love to hear some ideas from everybody else on here. Thanks ahead of time.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Main relay is also a suspect. Search for that, for instruction on re-soldering some bad joints on the circuit board.

1997 LX was available with 4-cyl or V-6; which does she have? That makes a big difference.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Fuel is definitely likely. Suggest repeating starter fluid test w/ longer blast of starter fluid, at least 5-10 secs into air intake duct. A brief start w/ confirm lack of fuel and OK spark.

Fuel pump is less likely than Main Fuel Relay and much harder to replace, so be sure of MFR beforing replacing fuel pump. MFR on 94-97 Accords is under driver's side dash to inside of steering wheel on a rack w/ other electrical components.

Others have had success w/ removing the base of the MFR from the case (joined to the rack), rather than attempting to separate entire MFR from rack mount. It requires depressing snaps on either end of MFR case to allow base to be removed. A small screwdriver is helpful.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Fuel is definitely likely. Suggest repeating starter fluid test w/ longer blast of starter fluid, at least 5-10 secs into air intake duct. A brief start w/ confirm lack of fuel and OK spark.

Fuel pump is less likely than Main Fuel Relay and much harder to replace, so be sure of MFR beforing replacing fuel pump. MFR on 94-97 Accords is under driver's side dash to inside of steering wheel on a rack w/ other electrical components.

Others have had success w/ removing the base of the MFR from the case (joined to the rack), rather than attempting to separate entire MFR from rack mount. It requires depressing snaps on either end of MFR case to allow base to be removed. A small screwdriver is helpful.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would check the spark plugs to see if they are washed out with fuel and if so replace them. If the plugs are in good condition and you sprayed starting fluid into the intake and it didn't start it isn't a fuel issue.