General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Honda LX 4 door car is unable to pull up but only down the power windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 97 Honda LX 4 door car is unable to pull up but only down the power windows

Hello! My 97 Honda Accord LX 4 door power window on the driver side is unable to pull up but can only down. The other three windows can be individually pulled up and down. The dealer said to replace the power window master switch. Do you know whether it is easy to replace it and where I should order a reliable Honda power window master switch? Thank you for your help.

Last edited by compiler; 12-15-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Google ericthecarguy window run channel

That will show a video on how to replace the run channel. You may want to clean it with some rubbing alcohol, then use some silicone paste on the tracks to see if this helps. You can also test the switch at the electrical connection for the window motor. The switch will read 12V across the two pins when switched is pushed up, then reverse and read 12V when the windows switch is pushed down.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Talking Hello Member

Originally Posted by compiler
Hello! My 97 Honda Accord LX 4 door power window on the driver side is unable to pull up but can only down. The other three windows can be individually pulled up and down. The dealer said to replace the power window master switch. Do you know whether it is easy to replace it and where I should order a reliable Honda power window master switch? Thank you for your help.

Let's see if this video will give you some good help...

WheelBrokerAng

How To Install Replace Front Power Window Motor Regulator Honda Accord Front 1AAuto.com - YouTube

Old 12-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Hi PA...looks like were following each other around again.. lol

Old 12-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey! I do not understand why I should check and replace the window run channel. The dealer said to replace the master switch. It sounds the problem is on the master switch because it still can lower and raise one rear window except for the other three windows. Does anyone know where to order the original Honda power window master switch and how to check and clean the switch?

Last edited by compiler; 12-15-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry, I may have misread your post.

So all of the windows work properly when you hit the switch on each individual door? And none of the windows go up when you hit the switches on the driver's door?

I just want to understand the problem.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Three windows cannot be raised via the master switch on left front side except for the rear left window. The master switch, however, can lower all windows. So, the problem is on the raising the windows except for the rear left window. The dealer said it is the master switch problem. Does it make sense?

1) I wonder what is the OE master switch/brand name/manufacturer that the Honda uses and where to order a good Honda power window master switch (on the left front)?
2) I also wonder whether I can check and clean the existing master switch because it may be just dirty.

Can you provide answers to my questions above? Thank you.

Last edited by compiler; 12-16-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

The master window switch is the switch in the driver's door that has all of the window switches on it.

It is not hard to replace. I would just pick one up from the junkyard, because the window switch can fail, but it doesn't happen too often.

If you decide to clean the switch, use some electrical contact cleaner. I don't know if the contacts are easily accessible.

Your other option is to order a new switch from Honda. Check out online sites like hondapartsnow.com or majestic honda for the cost of the switch. The retail price is what the dealership charges. Remember that the discount price doesn't include shipping.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have unplugged the wires from the window master switch. The original switch has three screw holes on its back. I checked the switch from the Dorman. It is cheap but the back of the switch has no screw holes. The part listed from the Honda parts web site is expensive. Does anyone know the other places where I can order a cheap reliable 97 Honda Accord LX 4 doors master switch that matches the OE part?

Old 12-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure the Dorman one does not have the screw holes....the pic's I found online are not the best but I can def see two of the three......A local bone yard might have a few, just try to get one where the window is up so it hasn't been rained on.

Quick Reply: 97 Honda LX 4 door car is unable to pull up but only down the power windows