General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 SE Automatic Transmission Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 07:37 AM
djkurious
Unregistered
Default 97 SE Automatic Transmission Noise

I searched for this and could not find anything related. I just purchased a 97 SE Automatic Accord with 210,000 miles on it. I know the past owner and he has taken very good care of the car. He recently purchased another vehicle and had to let the Accord go, so that's where I come in at.

He informed me that the transmission has this funny grinding sound. It only makes this noise when I am decelerating without braking and it only happens when I am past 30+ mph. The transmission shifts gears flawlessly! To give you an idea of what it sounds like let me try to explain it. You know when you are on the interstate and start to drive onto the median, there are grooves in the road that makes your tires make a noise so you can get back on the road. Like a "THTHTHTHTH" sound as if you are rolling your tongue. It doesn't affect the accelerating or braking of the car. I just want the sound to go away! I changed the transmission fluid with Honda ATF and that did nothing to solve it. My next guess is the CV axles. I checked the boots and there are no rips or tears on the axles.Has anyone ever experienced this?

I have recorded the sound the best I can to give you an idea of what it sounds like. Thanks for any help.

Link 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=s7SSrYP3F6E

Link2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9gZI9aNBuj0

Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 97 SE Automatic Transmission Noise

From the recordings, the only thing that came to mind was ABS modulator pump. This makes a grinding, brrrrr sound when pump comes on to repressurize the accumulator. If no ABS system, this is out but worth a check.

Other possibility is a resonance in the exhaust system causing the exhaust pipe to vibrate at a certain engine/vehicle speed and bounce against the frame somewhere. Look for problems or changes in the exhaust system (missing hangers or aftermarket parts).

good luck

Old 05-30-2008, 09:42 AM
djkurious
Unregistered
Default RE: 97 SE Automatic Transmission Noise

Iwill check the exhaust when I get home. I did forget to mention that the car doesn't have ABS.