General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 special edition from auto to 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Default 97 special edition from auto to 5 speed

I am in the middle of a engine and trans swap on a 97 special edition. Bought the car with a blown engine and automatic . I have a 97 Accord LX same F22 engine but 5 speed trans. I have changed everything over including main wiring harness and ECMs. The problem is in the right A-pillar where the main harness connects to the body harnesses. I guess since the LX didn't have the alarm and ABS systems thet the SE does the body harnesses are different. The will not hook up. The wires don't even have the same colors to identify the correct circuits. The SE has a 22 cavity connector where the LX has a 12 cavity connector. What can I do? Can I use the original SE main harness and ECM or can I use the LX ECM with the SE harness? What can I do before I start butchering these harnesses?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:39 AM

I made a mistake. This car doesn't have ABS but it does have an keyless entry/ anti theft module under the pass. seat.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

I've moved this to Gerneral Tech for now.

Also the "other" post about this same topic I have removed....makes it better when there is only one thread by you on the same topic.

Anyway, yes you are going to need an ECU from a manual trans car - remember that the 96 and 97 are OBD-II.

Not real sure on the question about the "right pillar" connector?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:56 PM

Finally, this thing is done. To let anyone know. I changed a 97 Special edition over from a automatic to a 5 speed. There was just one problem. These Special Editions are not designed for 5-speeds. They are all automatics. The firewall and a few other things are not the same. After some modifications to install the clutch linkage and the shifter linkage, I finally got it. You do have to replace the ECM with one for a manual trans, but you do not have to replace the entire wiring harness. All you have to do is add the two connectors for the clutch switches allowing the cruise to work and your clutch safety switch to work. Fairlly simple wiring repair when you get the wiring schematics and find the wires. About the only other thing that is different is the left CV shaft and the right support rod for the lower control arm. It is bent a little different allowing room for the trans. Really the hardest part was making room for the shifter cables between the subframe and the steering rack.