General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 Accord CE8 Chassis - rear lower suspension strut bolt problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Rodders
Unregistered
Unhappy '98 Accord CE8 Chassis - rear lower suspension strut bolt problem

Hi all,

I decided to go ahead and replace both the old rear suspension struts complete with new KYB shock absorbers and springs on my 105,000 mile Accord. On the LH side all went reasonably well. But on the RH side the suspension bottom bolt head has sheared off! (despite soaking in WD40 first). I've managed to hack saw off the remaining threaded part simply to get the old suspension strut off the vehicle. Now the remains of the old bolt are steadfastly rusted in the bushing in the 'knuckle'.

Maybe I should have tried an 'easy out' - but nevertheless went ahead and drilled the centre of the old bolt out using a cobalt drill bit. First 5mm and then 10mm. But unfortunately due to the restrictive space the resultant hole is not quite down the centre of the old bushing. Now the new shock will not accept a new bolt - as although it goes through the bushing it is mis-aligned at the other end where the welded nut is on the shock and can't engage the thread.

Can anyone advise further? - for example is it possible to remove the old bushing out of the 'knuckle' completely - and insert a new bushing. Is this technically possible? I have a feeling a new rear knuckle will be very expensive and I don't want to replace it.

The only other thought I have is to enlarge the bushing hole from the standard 10mm up to 12mm or more to accept the bolt all the way through to the welded nut - but this is a bodge and I don't want to do that!

Any help appreciated...

Update:

Today managed to fit the shock absorber assembly by enlarging the bottom hole in the strut slightly - and also enlarging the hole in the bottom 'knuckle' bushing slightly. Now the bolt aligns and locates in the welded nut on the other side of the strut. No rattles or knocks. I think I was lucky with this project.

So beware rusted bolts on old cars!!!!

Last edited by Rodders; 03-22-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Fixed the problem