General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 accord check engine light help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Default 98 accord check engine light help

I have a 98 accord ex 4 cylinder 5 speed. the check engine light is on. I do not know the code cause a shop told me that it came up being a emission malfunction. anyone know what this could be? also I am planning on changing my oil in the transmission. Anyone know how to drain, add the oil and how much does it take?

Thanks.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Go to someplace like AutoZone to read the code again. Get the number.

Remove left-front wheel & lower the jack just enough so the car is back level again. Support it solidly, don't trust the JACK alone.

Look through the wheel well alongside the axle. Drain valve is directly below the axle with a square hole in the bolt-head. Use a 3/8" socket extension without a socket.

But first, find the FILL bolt at about 3-oclock from the axle. It's a larger bolt (17mm wrench??) with a wide flange that looks different than all the other bolts. Check owner's manual for capacity, maybe 2 quarts or 3? Fill until it just runs back out of the fill hole (with the car level). You'll probably want to use a funnel with a hose that snakes down & into the fill hole.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Default here is the code it is throwing.

Po 1457

Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

P1457 = EVAP system leak in the canister system.

Check out this thread.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=27179

Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 AM

thanks. but i dont know how to do that stuff. how much you think it would cost a shop to do this?

Originally Posted by JimBlake
P1457 = EVAP system leak in the canister system.

Check out this thread.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=27179

Old 06-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know. You'll have to ask.

You could look for bad vacuum hoses at the purge valve & all around the EVAP canister.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Default speed sensor gone bad?

Thanks for the help on the tranny oil change. Did it last night. But now I have another problem. My speedometer is going out sometimes. when it does the cruise does not work but also when it quits working the car doesnt run right either. when it idles it idles really low and kinda rough. Is this caused by the speed sensor going out? Or does it sound like an electrical problem?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

The speedometer & cruise sound like the VSS is the culprit. But I don't know whether that can mess up the idle...?

I guess I'd chase the VSS first, at least to check for bad wiring connections at the VSS. If you're lucky, that'll fix everything. If not, you're left with a coincidence that it had an idle problem at the same time.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM

The thing is it use to happen every once in a while now its almost every day and when it happens everytime i come to a stop it idles really low and kinda rough and it also makes it a little doggy when it does happen. kinda feels like you have the air on when the air is off.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:02 AM

what would cause the speedo to go wacky along with the temp gauge?

Quick Reply: 98 accord check engine light help