General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 accord clock light

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Default '98 accord clock light

So I tried fixing the clock light with a bulb from Radio Shack,,,didn't work. So today decided to drive to Honda and buy the bulb for $3.00. What I also did was took the clock assembly out and then drove to the dealer. So the 2 harnesses were not attached to the assembly when I drove the car. Oh no.

The bulb went in fine. Put the harnesses back on and push the assembly back in place. Turned on the car; clock light works. yeah. But when I turn on my headlights it causes the clock light to turn off, and the lights where the temperature controls are located. Lights off, everything works. Headlights on and both the clock light and the temperature lights go off.

What did I do? And how do I fix it?

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Panel lights, including clock, are automatically dimmed when lights are turned on. It can be difficult or impossible to see them in bright daylight, however at night they are usually adequate. Perhaps if wrong bulb is used, then light is too dim to be seen anytime?

The dimmer may adjust the brightness w/ the lights on, but I'm not sure.

good luck

Old 09-24-2010, 04:52 PM

Well, when I turn on the head lights the green light that indicates the air conditioner is on turns off; turn off the headlights and the green indicator light for air conditioner lites up again. So something is happening to the lights on the temperature controls and the clock light that causes those lights to turn off when I turn on the headlights. I'm wondering if driving with the two harnesses from the clock assembly unattached shorted out something.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Have you tried adjusting the dimmer control? Perhaps a faulty control. I'm not sure if dimmer controls the AC On/Off backlight, but it may.

good luck

Old 09-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Default Same problem

Hi i had that same problem with my 00' accord its either the light dimmer is turned down too low. Or your battery is too small for the juice your running. Try changing to a bigger battery and see if that helps. It deffently fixed my problem. But they will still dim down some. But you still should be able to see them.