General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 accord coupe intermittent fault

Old 10-29-2008, 07:13 AM
mrbthebarber
Unregistered
Default 98 accord coupe intermittent fault

Hello room, I drive a 98 Accord Coupe here in the UK, it's a lovely, usually reliable low mileage car but has an intermittent fault that we just cannot trace & wonder if anyone else has had the same & can help direct me in the right direction please? Car runs fine then without warning ( used to be after long journey but can also be short ones now ) loses power totally BUT no engine warning lights come on & engine does not stop totally. I have learned to knock it into neutral ( is auto ) & floor the throttle & after a few moments power suddenly jerks back & I am away again. SOMETIMES even this doesn't work & I have pulled over & car seems to be barely running on one cylinder & then with throttle depressed fully it will rev & decelerate of it's own accord ( excuse the pun!! ) & once kept jumping from zero to 7,000 rpm & just a few days ago kept revving tween 4800 & 5000 bith time with me doing nothing other than have the throttle fully depressed. At first we thought it fuel & did some related tasks but it still happens, today we are replacing the distributor module ( which was replaced 18 months ago ) but we are purely speculating as NO faults show when the car is plugged into a diagnostics set up. Car can run 200 miles without fault & then it will start all over again random days. Anyone had the same? Can you advise please?
Many, many thanks.
Steve.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 98 accord coupe intermittent fault

Can you duplicate the problem by wiggling the key?

Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 PM
mrbthebarber
Unregistered

Hi Jim, no I can't. i had wondered if immobiliser or key chip problems which I have had in the past. I have also replaced the key ignition module (?)

Old 10-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

I wasnt thinking about the immobilizer, which has a little antenna around the key hole.

The electrical switch part of the ignition switch can get flaky in Hondas. Especially with heavy key chains. But if you cant make it happen by wiggling the key, then it sounds like you ruled that one out.