General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Accord LX 4 cylinder, low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Default 98 Accord LX 4 cylinder, low oil pressure

1st post so please relocate if I am in the wrong section.

My low oil pressure light came on so I pulled into a station immediately. Checked oil and it was low but not bone dry. Added a quart and light remained on. Lucky for me a shop was open and staring me in the face so I drove it there(1/16th of a mile) there diagnosis was a bad oil pump. Had it towed home and changed oil and filter. Light remained on. Mechanic friend checked filter after I had fired her up and found no oil inside. Diagnosis again is that I have a bad oil pump.

Everything I see on here claims oil pumps almost never fail. My question is can it be something else? Also if it is in fact a bad oil pump and I do decide to get it replaced what are the must replace items? Timing belt, gaskets, etc???

Thank you for this forum and all the help!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

In most cases we've seen of oil light coming on, it's the oil pressure switch on back side of engine near the oil filter. It develops a leak/fault w/ time and heat.

It could be the oil pump, but I would replace the oil pressure switch (inexpensive) and see if problem is fixed.

Very unusual for oil pump to fail. I have heard of oil suction pickup in the oil pan becoming clogged and causing low oil pressure. Fix is to remove oil pan and clean oil inlet screen.

Are you getting any clattering of rods/valves due to lack of lubrication? If not, oil pressure switch is likely fault.

PS, shops should have investigated this possibility first and if not, I would find someone else for any further work.

good luck

Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

I agree, a clogged pickup screen is far more likely than an oil pump failure. Is the inside of the engine all cruded up with sludge?

Old 06-03-2014, 11:34 AM

Would oil pressure switch cause no oil to circulate through the motor? I purchased an oil pressure switch for $12 but did not replace because mechanic friend said if no oil was in the filter it was because it wasnt pumping. Should I change the switch and see what happens?

Old 06-03-2014, 11:50 AM

No oil in oil filter does suggest no oil circulation. Are you getting valve clattering and main bearing/rod bearing noise? Suggest removing oil filter to confirm no oil circulation. Again suction inlet screen clogged is more likely than oil pump failure.

What is history of vehicle? regular oil changes? any recent engine work?

I would change oil pressure switch since it's so inexpensive to replace and may be source of your problem.

good luck

Old 06-03-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
No oil in oil filter does suggest no oil circulation. Are you getting valve clattering and main bearing/rod bearing noise? Suggest removing oil filter to confirm no oil circulation. Again suction inlet screen clogged is more likely than oil pump failure.

I would change oil pressure switch since it's so inexpensive to replace and may be source of your problem.

good luck
Vehicle has regular oil changes though it does burn oil and I have allowed it to run low at times. Do get valve clattering but thats all. trying not to run the engine. How big of a job is the screen and switch?

Last edited by Noob; 06-03-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
I agree, a clogged pickup screen is far more likely than an oil pump failure. Is the inside of the engine all cruded up with sludge?
How would I know this?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

The easy way is to remove the valve cover & look. The proper way is to remove the oil pan & look.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda

good luck
Is than available part?

Old 06-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Suggest first removing oil filter and confirming no oil drains when filter is removed.

If no oil, then it's your call whether to try the new oil pressure switch or remove oil pan (not terribly difficult, but several hrs of DIY effort).

If you find oil, then oil pressure switch is next step for sure. Oil pressure switch is readily available at parts stores or Honda parts. It takes a special deep socket to install. I believe some auto parts stores have a loaner tool for this.

good luck

Quick Reply: 98 Accord LX 4 cylinder, low oil pressure