General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 accord--p1457, computer failure. Repair worth it?

Old 05-13-2011, 03:36 AM
Default 98 accord--p1457, computer failure. Repair worth it?

Hello all,

I have a 98 Accord lx v6 automatic that amazingly only has about 70k miles on it. Was in an accident about 7 years ago without any hugely major damage at the time (drivers side front wheel area impact), but had to replace the transmission around 45k miles (when ~9 years old).

Recently, the engine light popped on a time or two, my local garage told me it had code P1457, they couldn't find a fault and it definitely wasn't the gas cap, and that I should take it to the dealer. After taking it to the dealership, they told me that a 2-way valve went bad, the bypass solenoid developed corrosion issues, and that this caused the engine computer to get fried (or partially fried). No ground detected on the circuit.

The dealership quoted around $1200 for the repair ($560 for the computer alone). Is that reasonable?

Another monkey in the works is that this car still has the original timing belt. I believe it's not due to be replaced until 105k miles, but I kinda figured the car's age (14 years almost) probably moved that figure forward. I think timing belt repair is supposed to be like ~$700+ (?). I would go crazy if I got the computer issue/EVAP system problem fixed and then the timing belt broke and destroyed the engine...

I was just wondering what people's opinions were? Given that it's a roughly 14-year old car, is it worth putting $2000 into it over the next couple of months or year to keep it running? The alternative would be trade-in and get a new car. Immediately after speaking to the dealership (and saying I needed to think about whether to do the repairs), they called me back about 2 minutes later and started offering to buy the car, saying that I wouldn't get a good price for it anywhere else with the check engine light, but that one of the shop technicians might actually want to buy it, etc.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
-JBlink
--
1998 Accord LX v6 automatic
2006 Element EX

Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Their diagnosis sounds suspect. Computer is able to tolerate dead shorts and open circuits. Is Check Engine Light still on? You may want to get a 2nd opinion from a good independent shop specializing in HOnda/Acura repairs.

Their repair costs is probably correct for an OEM replacement computer, however there are plently of used computers available for < $100. Check car-part.com for local sources near your zip. I paid abou $40 inc. shipping for my 94EX ECU a few months back.

Find an independent garage to install (easy job perhaps 1 hr labor).

You timing belt is due. The interval is 7 years or 105K miles, whichever comes first. You are 6 yrs overdue.

TB job cost of $700 is OK if it includes water pump. I would also add cost of new tensioners (bearings grease can dry out). If these fail, TB will fail and engine will be damaged.

If car is otherwise delivering good service, I think you should be able to repair for <$1000 easily. Worth the price IMO.

good luck

Old 05-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

You'd get P1456 for a loose gas cap, not P1457. That tells me that the shop isn't really familiar with Honda.

Check out this thread for some details...
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-1999-a-27179/

If you need more, you should probably get your hands on a shop manual.