General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Accord Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Default 98 Accord Stalling

So my moms car is an automatic 98 accord lx. Its having issues and I can't really get to it. So I'm trying to find out what things she can check herself and then what I can check once Im able to get down there to look at it.

But theres a check engine light that had to do with the fuel system. Its a part I found was a common issue on the 6th gens but can't remember the code or the part. Its located after the fuel tank under the car. Her mechanic said that its not a big deal if theres an issue with it and I've never done the repair.

Right now her car is stalling, usually when its raining. It happens at idle and sometimes going 65mph on the highway. She says its just sudden and then after the car will start up fine. It may stall immediately after but theres no hesitation.

She does say that on the highway it sometimes feels like shes "driving over rocks". But the car isn't surging or has a misfire sensation.

The suspicion is an exposed wire that shorts the car if it gets wet. I recommended she spray water in the engine bay and under the car to see if it stalls.

Are there any other things I could look for? Could that fuel trouble code cause an issue (if anyone recognizes it)?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:00 PM

I have a lead on the ignition coil recall for some of the 6th gens so I'ma look into that but id appreciate any other recommendations

Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Get the code...I'll guess a 1457 - evap.

Ask her to watch/look at the dash when the car dies and see what lights are on.

Sounds (?) like the elect part of the key switch......dealer should do the first one for free, the rest is on you/her.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 PM

She called up and they said that the recalled parts were fixed. But the ignition coil itself was not included. Just other ignition parts. However, I read that the 6th gens do have an issue with the coil wearing out prematurely. She called her mechanic and he said its a good possibility. He had checked the electrical and could not find anything but did not look at the distributor.
And yeah its a 1457. I dont think that would be something that would cause this issue though? And when the car stalls its just the typical lights that show when the ignition is on.