General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Accord starting probs

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Default 98 Accord starting probs

I'm having an issue with my '98 Honda. Sometimes it will not start. It will turn over fine - battery is strong. It doesn't soundstrange - and no fuel odor while trying to start.So my guess is that it is not getting fuel or it is not firing. The other strange thing about this is that it's not consistent. First time - leaving home driving along fine - it dies. Tried to start - wouldn't. Checked fuses and a few things, not really doing a thorough check - and then a few minutes later it starts right up. Drove fine for the next day and a half then it wouldn't start one night at work. Waited a while still didn't start. Next Morning - wouldn't start. That evening - started. Next morning started - that evening didn't. I guess you get my drift. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start? If there are more details needed, let me know.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 98 Accord starting probs

You are right about the problem being either spark or fuel related.

Since the problem happens randomly, it will be trickier to test. First, go to AutoZone and have them check for any codes that are stored on the ECU and post them on here. They will all be P####.

The next thing that I would do is every time you go to start you car, turn the key to the II position, and listen for the fuel pump to turn on when all of the relays click. It will be a faint whirling sound coming from the back seat area. If you don't hear the fuel pump kick on, and the car doesn't start, then there is something wrong with the fuel system.

To check for spark, you should pick up a spark tester at AutoZone for pretty cheap. It is basically a quick way to test for spark. Just pull a spark plug wire from the car (when it isn't starting) and hook it up to the tester and clip the tester on to the engine block. You will need two people to do this. One to try to start the car and the other watching the spark tester. If the gap is set properly on the tester, you should see a bright blue/white spark. Another way to test for spark is to put a timing light on one of the wires and try to start. If the current going to the plugs flashes the light, then spark is ok.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Ok,
called Autozone and they said that the check engine light HAD to be on for them to check. I asked if they could check for any codes that were stored on the ECU and they said again that the check engine light HAD to be on. Am I just talking to someone there that doesn't really know that it can be checked that way? They told me if I came in for them to check it and the check engine light is not on - then it will not work at all.

By the way, the check engine light does not come on except for a short time when it first starts.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think that the check engine light has to be on to read codes previously stored on the ECU.

Since the check engine light isn't on, you need to determine if the problem is spark or fuel related. Can you hear the fuel pump turn on when you are having the no start condition?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:10 PM

since it's intermittent i'd suspect a relay problem such as the fuel main relay. since you said it died while driving once i'd suspect the electrical portion of the ignition switch. so either replace both of them or one at a time. need the info on how to do it?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Intermittant problems have been driving mechanics nuts for 40 years. That's the cool part of the OBD systemsthat HAVEsome storage capacity.

For all the different cars out there, some have more memory or less memory for storing those codes. These days, most can store the codes after the lamp goes off. He probably didn't know...

Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 AM

Well, I am going to go back to Auto Zone tonight (if it starts) to have them check it anyway and we'll see. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 01-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Since you are in bloomington, IN, I would go to oreilly auto parts (if one is nearby).

Their tester checked the battery, alternator, and starter. It was pretty quick and showed that my starter was not getting enough voltage. I think that they can test for obd codes as well. Just call ahead and ask.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 PM

I had the same problem. You have to check your main relay. I'm at school right now so I can't find that thread on it. It's on v6p.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:25 PM

Okay, another update. I couldn't get it started again so it hasn't made it to AutoZone. A friend of mine let me use a few testers to check things out. First I eliminated the fuel pump possibility by checking to see if the pump was sending fuel up to the pressure relief thing by the fuel rail. Fuel good.Then I hooked up a fuel injector tester to ensure that they had voltage during starting. They were good. Next I checked for spark with a spark tester. No spark. Took off distributor, checked for voltage to coil. Good. Removed coil. Tested it myself and took it to Auto Zone to double check myself. It's good. Now I believe I am down to the ignition module. I have it out but Auto Zone doesn't test those. According to my Hayes manual, after troubleshooting, this is what I think it is. Any input before I order one?

Quick Reply: 98 Accord starting probs