General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Accord starts, then stalls right away and won't restart

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:29 PM
rummermail
Unregistered
Default 98 Accord starts, then stalls right away and won't restart

I own a 98 Accord Coupe 2.3l 4 cylinder automatic. Here is when I have had this problem. the first few times it was at the gas station. I filled up the tank from about 1/4 full and started the engine. It started then sputtered off. Then I tried to restart it and it just cranked. i waited for a few minutes tried again. It just cranked. After a few time it started. I thought the gas might be too low living in florida and it was some for of vapor lock, not sure. I use 93 octane in the car and use Shell gas. I then had the same problem at work leaving for lunch. the car sits outside in the sun all morning. The gas guage was around less than 1/4 tank. I wnet and put 5 gallons of gas in the tank, took about 20minutes and it started right up. The addition of gas to tanks seems to effect something but now today, I have 1/2 tank of gas (should be enough right)and the same thing happnes.I checked the fuse on the pump and I can hear it power up. The immobilizer light stays on for a few then shuts off while cranking. Any ideas. I am now stuck at work!!!!!!!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 98 Accord starts, then stalls right away and won't restart

First step in no-start is to determine if you are missing fuel or spark. Spark is usually easiest to determine by pulling a spark plug lead, and plugging in a spare sparkplug, grounding the plug to engine, and turning car over (someone else), while you observe for spark. If no spark, suspect the coil or ignitor as prime suspects. Keyswitch could be a possibility w/ your symptoms. They are known to go bad.

First fuel delivery check is to listen carefully for main fuel relay to click (under the dash), and fuel pump to run for 3 secs when keyswitch is first turned to On. You should be able to hear the fuel pump in the gas tank come on and run, w/ car windows closed and outside fairly quiet.

A simple way to check for fuel pressure is to crack the banjo bolt on the fuel rail, after turning keyswitch to On for a few seconds. You should get a good spray of fuel w/ the bolt is cracked open. If nothing or a dribbleof fuel, suspect bad fuel filter, fuel pump, or main fuel relay.

good luck

Old 07-06-2007, 01:23 PM
rummermail
Unregistered

I tried another key that my wife dropped off. It stared up again then sputtered off. I went a pulled all the plug wires off and on. I went back and tried to start it again. It started then sputtered. I was on to something. I reset the wires again thinking something was not connecting right. It started up again and idled high then slowed to normal idle. I am going to take it home tonight and change the plugs and wires. I hope this does the trick!

Old 07-06-2007, 02:28 PM

I know this may sound too simple, but did you check your connections at the battery? Are the terminals clean and tight?

Old 07-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Have you checked the main relay for cracked solder joints?

Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 AM
rummermail
Unregistered

I changed the plugs and wires this weekend. So far so good. Thank you for all the info!!
[align=right] [/align]

Old 07-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Stop wasting your money on 93.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

Stop wasting your money on 93.
x2. You car was made to run on 87 octane gas. 93 will not help at all. Some are of the opinion the car actually runs worse with higher octane gas if the engine was not designed to run on it.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:37 AM
rummermail
Unregistered

thank you for the tip on gas. I though I helping it last longer.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 AM
rummermail
Unregistered

Well, time again for lunch and the guage is between 1/2 and empty. I had not problems all weekend. there are trees the cover my car most fo the day at my house. At work it is in direct sunlight. This seems to be when I have the most problems. I will start checking the fuel issue now. I have a chiltons so I hope it will point out the areas you told em to check. Its over 93 degrees outside, its frickin hot.

Quick Reply: 98 Accord starts, then stalls right away and won't restart