General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Accord still stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:36 AM
daveo
Unregistered
Default 98 Accord still stalling

I have a 98 Accord LX 2.3 andthe engine just dies sometimes while driving. Put in neutral and it always starts right back up. Yesterday when I left work I started it and it died 3 times before it stayed running, it would run for about 1 second and then just shutoff. Sometimes you can drive it all day and it will never die, then the next day it will die 4 or 5 times.I took it to Auto Zone and they check for codes and said there was not any. I have call several Honda dealers and they have not been much help.Possiblethings I have been told are, fuel pressure regulater, fuel pump relay witch I can't find, ignition switch witch they have had some problems with and fuel pump. I have already changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Not sure where to turn next. Any suggestions would be appreiated. Thanks

Old 05-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 98 Accord still stalling

See if you can make it happen by wiggling the key. Or turning thekey just a tiny bit back from the normal position. If so, that pretty much narrows it down to a flaky ignition switch.

If not, you'll still have to do some troubleshooting, but this test is just too simple to ignore.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 98 Accord still stalling

Intermittent problems can be tough to pin down.

One way to sort out whether fuel or fire is the problem is to rig a "tell-tale" light to the ignition power supply wire to distributor (blk/yel in earlier models). This circuit supplies battery voltage to ignition. If keyswitch is the problem, the light will go out when the engine dies. If fuel is the problem, the light will remain on. I suggest using a quick splice connector to allow connection to the correct wire w/ minimum damage to the wire when you later remove the connection.

I have a tell-tale light rigged in my 94 Accord EX for a similar intermittent no-start. Since I've rigged the wire 2 months ago, the no-start has failed to occur.[:@]

good luck