General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Accord still overheating after new fan.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 08:03 PM
erikhaha
Unregistered
Default 93 Accord still overheating after new fan.

I just bought this 93 accord and it was overheating after about 5 miles. I noticed that the condensor fan wasn't working so I replaced it with a new one.

Last night on the freeway I blew a hose connected to the thermostat/lower radiator hose unit. The car went into the red on the temp gage for about 2 minutes until I could exit. Replaced hose and refilled system W/coolant, and let it idle for 3 cycles of the cooling fans coming on and off, with the heater on.

On the way home this morning I drove 25 miles and the temp was fine, then about 5 miles from home the temp jumped up to about 2/3-3/4 on the gage. I have no idea what is wrong. I believe that the thermostat is fine because I see the fluid level drop inside the radiator just before the fan comes on.

ANYBODY have any ideas or suggestions as to causes of this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:45 AM
Default RE: 93 Accord still overheating after new fan.

Check the basic stuff, radiator cap, remove and test thermostat in water on stove to make sure it's not sticking. Sence it did go into the red keep a eye on your oil. After a car of mine did that (stuck on a bridge with no room to stop or pull over, lucky me) overheated it started to get water in the oil. The head was shot. Something to keep a eye on.
If you have plenty of water in the car and the water pump is working I'd crank the heater fan on full if it starts to overheat. At least this will give you another chance to keep it cooler untill you can get it to a safe area to stop the car.
Don't put more anit-freeze in than is needed. That stuff doesn't help with cooling, it makes it harder to remove heat so never put more than is needed for the worst winter weather.
Check all connections to the radiator fan if electric. Maybe it works fine but has a bad connection that wacks it out from time to time. This goes true with the water temp switch that turns it on as well. If unsure, replace it.
Good luck.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:40 AM
beets442
Unregistered

just rebuilt 90 accord-did u burp system at thermostat housing? bleeding nipple next to themostat-12mm socket,run it while bleeding-BEETS

Old 11-20-2005, 02:48 AM
jayallen40
Unregistered

There mightbe a short in the wireing to your fan, as you drive it may be shorting out do to movement causing the fan to stop. When you refilled radiator and watched the fan cycle the short could have stoped. I suggest you pop the hood run the engine, watch for fan to engage, then tug on the wires leading to the fan. Ifthere is a short this will show it. If that's not the problem, the heat sensor on the block may be going out, but they usualy work or not. Anouther answer might be the computor. I had this happen on a 95 camero. It ideled the fan came on every thing looked fine,but it would randomly blow the lower radiator hose. When it reched a certin tempature the fan would kick out and car would over heat. I ran a hot wire from the fuse box tied to ignition. When i started the car it turned the fan on. It runs constantly until you shut the car off, but it solved the problem and it was cheaper than the computor. If you dothis be sure to put an inline fuse in the run to the fran. Hope this helps