General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'97 Accord still running warm after radiator flush /fan replacement

Old 06-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Default '97 Accord still running warm after radiator flush /fan replacement

Radiator in good shape, replaced 3 years ago.

Recently both my radiator fan and the A/C condenser fan died. They limped along for a while but could hear them grinding as they turned and finally just quit.

I replaced both today and flushed radiator and added new fluid.No leaks, water pump was replaced along with timing belt last summer. Yes, the fans are working.

Even after replacing them, when idling in traffic with the A/C running, the temp gauge was creeping really close to the halfway mark. It was 106 degrees outside today. 1.) is getting to the halfway mark in those conditions somewhat normal or could something else be wrong? 2.) Is getting to the halfway mark dangerous for my engine? FWIW i'm not gonna be driving this car much longer. Maybe till the fall, maybe less.

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Did you purge the most of the air out of the cooling system?

There still may be air pockets in the cooling system.

To purge the air out of the cooling system:

1. Turn the heater control to max heat.
2. Remove the radiator cap.
3. Some Accords have an air bleed bolt near the thermostat housing, where you would loosen the air bleed bolt, then fill the radiator with a 50/50 coolant mix to the radiator neck. Tighten the bleed bolt as soon as coolant comes out in a steady stream without bubbles. But, this is not always necessary and sometimes ineffective. (This step can be skipped or may not be applicable to your car.)
4. If you want, you can jack up the front of the car which will help to get the air out easier. But, not necessary. (This step can be skipped.)
5. With the radiator cap off, start the engine and run it to normal operating temperature (radiator fan comes on twice). Adding coolant as necessary. This may take a while, I usually run it until I see no more bubbles or air coming from the radiator for a while.

I usually rev the car up a little while the car is warming up to help get the air out and to open the thermostat faster, and refill as necessary along the way. Later, I will also feel the lower radiator hose to make sure the coolant is warm which tells me the thermostat has opened. (But, be careful of the fans, belts, etc.).

Most of the purging of air in the cooling system occurs after the thermostat opens. So, if you didn't let the thermostat open, not all the air may get purged.

Last edited by redbull-1; 06-29-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I would definitely try burping the system of air like redbull said. My car was running at about half way a few weeks ago and so I purged the system of air and it immediately started running at normal temp.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

At half, well I start to get worried, over half and you need to find a safe place to pull out of traffic.

Need to see if the "burp" helps. Also check the ac condenser to be sure there is not dirt/bugs/ect that might restrict air flow.