General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Radiator fan running after shut-down

Old 10-09-2008, 08:37 AM
mw011i
Unregistered
Default Radiator fan running after shut-down

Radiator fan is running after I power-off the car. Seems like it's happening more frequently, even since the morning temperature has cooled, and is now engaging after short trips (i.e. 10 minutes).

The fan is an aftermarket replacement from Advanced Auto Parts, and I installed last June because the old one melted. New fan works fine and is keeping the temperature gauge below 50% (which is normal for this car).

I am aware that the radiator has a small crack somewhere because I've seen a bit of residue in the area. Could this be my culprit?

P.S. Thermostat was replaced in summer 2007.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Default RE: Radiator fan running after shut-down

That is normal on a lot of cars, its just cooling down the car after you shut it off. Check your coolent level to make sure your not low.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Normal!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Any leaks need to be repaired.

My experience is the engine-off cooling fan only comes on during hot outside temps and extended drives. That's in Houston. If you live in colder climate and fan is coming on frequently, I think either your're overheating (thermostat perhaps), thermoswitch B (controls engine off fan) has too low ON temp, or perhaps Themoswitch B is sensing higher temp due to low coolant levels.

Engine-off fan is designed to cool the cylinder head after hot engine shutdown and prevent too much "heat-soak" temperature rise in the cylinder head. This is bad for head gasket.

good luck

Old 10-09-2008, 12:45 PM
mw011i
Unregistered

Thanks TexasHonda, this is the detailed response I was looking for. I am fully aware that it is normal for the fan to come on in hot weather, but this shouldn't happen in October in New England! I'll check the coolant levels and work on repairing or replacing the radiator... or, I'll buy a new car. This car is getting up there and has served me well for 14 years.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

After you check antifreeze levels...

Check the fan switch located onthe UPPER radiator hose nozzle at the engine. That one is responsible after turning off the engine. Unplug it & if the fan stops, then you may have a bad switch.

If the fan keeps running, the problem seems to be in the fan timer module. That thing is responsible for switching between the 2 fan switches (engine running vs. engine off) as well as turning off the fanin the event ofa broken switch.