General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Accord Temp Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Default 98 Accord Temp Issues

This 1998 accord literally is becoming a major project, It's just a car the family uses to drive around or ill take to work. So far all these things have been done to it just to be presented with more problems.

- New Axle
- New Driver side door handle, Lock actuators are all acting up have a feeling they will need to be replaced soon.
- New Tranny (94k miles and it blew)
- New Valve Cover Gasket

Anyway, Two days ago the car nearly overheated with the car's temp gauge only about 6 or 7 notchs away from H on it. I went inside for about 30-40 minutes came back drove back home and it stayed at it's normal area. Once again it happened and went away. Today I was in a parking garage idle had the A/C running and was waiting for someone, I noticed the temp guage starting to rise and once again nearing H.

I started driving around to get air to the engine and the second I started moving the gauge began to drop, Got on the highway and it pretty much returned to normal but as i got to red lights at my exit then It started to rise, second I got on the gas it dropped again not to regular but around the middle of the gauge.

I got back home and popped the hood after it cooled down and noticed something, My coolant's reserve was literally bone dry. Literally nothing inside of it. Filled it up and the issue seems to continue but the temps have dropped a little. It just comes at random, Pretty sure it's only occured with the A/C on as well. Fans spin idling perfectly fine but temps can rise. I'm assuming the temp gauge or temp sensor is acting up, Anything else that could be the case?

Also noted, Found another small oil leak on the engine sadly on the left side where a small hose connects, Thought I finished with oil leaks after the valve cover gasket. Car loves being worked on.

Last edited by Cubeman; 06-22-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

check the rad fluid reservoir again in a couple days and fill to mark.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Open the radiator cap (when cool) and check the fluid level in the radiator. Are you using a mix of coolant and water?

Just to confirm, both A/C condenser fan (driver side) and radiator fan (passenger side) works?

Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Open the radiator cap (when cool) and check the fluid level in the radiator. Are you using a mix of coolant and water?

Just to confirm, both A/C condenser fan (driver side) and radiator fan (passenger side) works?
Both fans work, The fluid level in the radiator is topped off. Using regular prestone 50/50 antifreeze/coolant

Old 06-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

i'd start with a new rad cap and thermostat replacement and then go from there.