General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 accord v6 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Default 98 accord v6 3.0L

I have a V6 Accord 309K Miles that looses RPM and speed like it is running out of gas. It sometimes doesn't do it on short trips but mostly does. has went dead at 60mph, and at idle). will not do it under full throttle but at steady speed, low or high, with cruise on also. It bucks and jerks along. I have changed fuel pump, fuel filters, mass air sensor which seemed to fix it for short time (like a week), every thing i and mechanic can think of. My check engine light is no longer coming on but car runs bad. plugs and wires have been changed. Need Help engine runs great no misssing. Love my honda just want it fixed

Old 07-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Is this an engine problem or a transmission problem?

Old 07-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Its engine. Trans. works fine. it acts just like its starving for fuel. at almost any speed with steady throttle controle it falls on its face for a few seconds then picks right back up over and over and over. press the gas and it runs great. just can't drive as fast as it wants to go to keep running well. lol

Old 07-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Your problem sounds similar to this guy. His problem turned out to be the primary O2 sensor.

98 V6 accord loss of power/loss of throttle response while driving

Old 07-18-2012, 02:06 PM

You need to figure out if you are loosing spark while driving. This will require getting a timing light rigged up so that you can see it flash while driving. When this happens look at the light and see if its flashing, if it isn't you are loosing spark.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

you never said what code(s) were being set.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:20 PM

I don't think we've changed the 02 sensor so i'll check that out and i'v been wondering about loosing spark or maybe switch failure so i'll try the timing light while driving too. I havn't really checked for spark problem because when this happens if i rapidly pat the gas it tries to pick back up. This may not mean anything with fuel injection idk. It's not showing a check engine light could this be a ECU problem?

Old 07-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carglo98
I don't think we've changed the 02 sensor so i'll check that out and i'v been wondering about loosing spark or maybe switch failure so i'll try the timing light while driving too. I havn't really checked for spark problem because when this happens if i rapidly pat the gas it tries to pick back up. This may not mean anything with fuel injection idk. It's not showing a check engine light could this be a ECU problem?
When you start the car, does it light up for ~ 2 seconds and then turn off?

If it doesn't it could be the ECU or a burnt out bulb.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:12 PM

The guy's problem RedBull-1 told me about sounds almost just like mine so i will scan it and see what i find. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by carglo98

Hold the phone. So when you experiance this are you cruising at very minimal throttle? ie. creating vacuum in the intake manifold?? I have a feeling this is fuel related, it could be the injectors... but I'm leaning towards the fuel pressure regulator not opening when its getting vacuum. This would overpressurize the fuel rail and could be making it run rich.

This would go away as soon as you add more air (open the throttle).

It also could be the ecu controlling the air/fuel mixture in an inappropriate way. Im trying to think about which sensor would cause that.... O2?