General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 honda accord catalytic converter question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Wink HELP A LADY OUT ;) 98 honda accord catalytic converter question

I have a 98 accord and was wondering if it will hurt it to take the catalytic converter off? i cnt replace it right now but it is really backing my system up and i cant even drive my car atm. ive been told it wouldnt hurt but i have also been told it would bc there is the o2 sensor that would make everything go haywire if not plugged into catalytic converter. if i have to have it, is it possible to just clean it out and put it back on? help a lady out thanxx

Last edited by honDUHchick; 12-29-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: new subject line??
Old 12-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure that your catalytic converter is clogged? Why can't you replace it right now? Does your check engine light turn on and do you have any codes? Do you live in a state where you have an annual emissions and or vehicle inspection?

Old 12-30-2010, 12:47 AM

my check engine light is always on, im lucky if its not flashing. i know its the problem. codes say catalylist system too, so im not sure if its the o2 sensor or the whole converter but im pretty sure its the converter. i live inmissouri and no one checks emissions here, but im afraid if i take it off, then being that the sensor isnt connected to anything down there that it will screw up the whole system. i saw on youtube where they say that '94 and newer needs a converter otherwise itll use more gas bc the oxygen/fuel ratio will be screwed up and the computer will go haywire and things will screw up worse

Old 12-30-2010, 12:50 AM

its not THE problem, but i know its a problem, theres a lot wrong w it lol but this ones my main concen right now

Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

The check engine light will just turn on if the engine computer detects a problem. It will not flash if it is a serious problem, like I have read about GM models.

Can you get then post the actual error codes, because the catalytic converter may not be your driving problem. They start with the letter P and have 4 digits, like P1234.

Does the D4 light start flashing when driving?

Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 AM

i know whata code looks like lol just because im a girl dont mean im retarded and dnt know anything bout cars lol no offense....i used to help build race cars w my previous bf but those motors are waaayyy diff than the modern imports lol. ill hve to find a friend w a code reader...even though i know this i a problem....i have a vtec malfunction due to my oil problem, its possible my oil problem came from my catalyst issue, i gotta clean my motor so i cn see if its coming from my oil sending unit, oil pan or distributor (which is possible bc it looks like it might be, i did replace it before) i have a random cylinder misfire, misfiring all cylinders. not only that but my radiator is starting to leak around the top edges, and all i can really think of is how backed up it is.....it uses gas like v6 even a v8 but doesnt have the power it shuld. its just being a turd. ima diy kinda girl. i will post the codes when i can even though i doubtne1 will c this......i have codes saved on my computer but every time i check codes it comes up w different codes. im assuming bc different code readers. but catalyst is always one of them.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:52 AM

the only lights that are on is the check engine (which always flashes now, usually its solid and always on) and my maintenancy light but i think that was for my oil change which i already did, i just never reset the light. its not just a driving problem either. as of right now it dnt wanna run right at all.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

The code readers should all read the same code number, but may give a different description. List the codes on here, because it sounds like you could have several problems. Maybe one problem is causing the others.

When were the maintenance items change like spark plugs, distributor cap, and distributor rotor?

Clean up the engine as best as you can. Then try to pinpoint the oil leak.

Also pull off a spark plug wire and see if you have oil on top of the spark plugs.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:57 PM

ok i changed the whole distributor and wires about 2 months ago and new plugs about 4 or 5 months ago. theres no oil on the spark plugs. it didnt need any of it but i thought id give it a try. my car does have many different problems, but im working on them one at a time
all i really wanted to know is if my 98 has to have a converter or if itd make it run worse, or if i could just take it off and bang around on it a bit and slap it back on?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Physically it shouldn't need a converter. Legally it needs one.

The 2nd oxygen sensor monitors whether the converter is working OK, so obviously with no converter it'll throw a CEL. But I'm not sure - I don't think that will affect the fuel & spark maps at all. The actual operation of the engine depends on the front oxygen sensor (among other things).

Quick Reply: 98 honda accord catalytic converter question