General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 accord 4 dr sedan....HELP ME!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:25 PM
all22s
Unregistered
Default 99 accord 4 dr sedan....HELP ME!

i just bought a 99 accord 4 door sedan 4 cylinder auto tranny for 450.00. (yes 450.00) was supposed to need an engine replacement (which i have a 2000 4dr accord parts car complete top notch mechanical and electrical to pull from)well i get the car pulled to the house and charge the battery. after charging the battery i attempt to start the car. it turns over quite a few times with no discernible problems or sounds so after it doesn't start i pull the spark plugs. i notice that all four plugs are wet blackened and smell like gas.i swap them out with the platinum plugs from the 2k and attempt to start the car again. it fires up and runs (perfect, but only over 2k rpm, and pouring black/grey smoke out of the exhaust) anything below 2k rpm and it shuts off.i don't think the piston rings are bad as there was only fuel on the plugs and not oil. after running it for 10-15 seconds at a time for 4-5 times, i pulled the platinum plugs out...SAME EXACT PROBLEM.I have no clue as to what the problem could be but i am betting it is a bad sensor and thats it. none the less there aren't and dtc's or trouble codes being thrown, due to the car only running for 10-15 seconds max and not even idling. i have an i dea of where to start... but i'ma mazda guy whos wife has a 2k accord that was totalled by the ins after being stolen, she also has a 98 ex 4 door accord as well, and i got the 99 for a steal so i couldn't pass it up!any help, wiring diagrams would be greatly appreciated.thanks,jeremy[/align]

Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 99 accord 4 dr sedan....HELP ME!

Compression test?
Has the T-belt jumped timing?
How many miles are on this Creampuff?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 AM
all22s
Unregistered

i'm about to do the compression test in a few minutes. when i did have it running it ran perfect... no missing whatsoever. just running rich as ****. pouring black/grey smoke and fouling out the plugs with too much fuel.
there are 139k on the odometer

Old 01-10-2009, 06:10 PM
all22s
Unregistered

ok.... here is what i did today:

compression test: all cylinders @ 175psi. so that rules out bad rings blowing oil up into the combustion chamber and fouling out the plugs.

i swapped the fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail, all fuel injectors and it idled perfect for a few minutes then died.

i swapped the upper intake plenum and throttlebody as well as all sensors from my 2000 parts car. (car ran perfect before it was parked after being stolen and totalled by the ins. company, everything electrical and mechanical is known to be good)

i swapped ecus from my wife's 98 into my 99 and did the same thing so that rules out a bad ecu.

i'm kinda stumped now. if i hadn't had a parts car available to me i would have just thrown over 2500.00 in parts at this car and still not running correctly.

i have good fuel pressure, is there something i am missing? something i have over looked? there is nothing aftermarket on this car, nostereo, lighting, intake exhaust.... so i haven't noticed any bare wires or shorted out wires.

i had a blank key cut and used that along with the key to the ecu wich was taped to my blank to test the ecus.

i'm stumped!

jeremy

Old 01-10-2009, 06:21 PM
all22s
Unregistered

i even disconntected the cat from the exhaust to rule out a clogged cat....... same ****... won't idle and then dies, but will stay running for 15-20 seconds if revved over 2k rpm

Old 01-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Weak spark? Does your 99 have a distributor?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 PM
all22s
Unregistered

yes it has a diszzy. its a f23a1 vtec.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Try swapping the distributors. Make sure that you mark the distributor and the cylinder head on the working vehicle, so you can have it properly adjusted when you return it to your car. Make note of where the rotor points towards so you do not install the distributor 180 degrees off.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:10 AM
all22s
Unregistered

i will try that tomorrow. i'm also leaning towards the egr valve as thats the only other thing besides the complete dizzy that i haven't changed out yet. knock on wood something works for me tomorrow. i have ruled out the timing belt due to when it is started and revved over 2k... it purrs like a kitten although pours black smoke from running rich. and the o2 sensors due to it not getting up to operating temps. i can't think of nothing else as all of the parts are coming from a perfectly running car, which is totalled so she has become our donor for our other 2 accords.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:28 AM
all22s
Unregistered

ok i just went out and metered my egre valve. i have 4.28 ohms of resistance on the 99 and went and checked that against the 00 donor egr valve and it read 4.26 omhs of resistance so i know the egr valve is good.
there is a module i haven't swaped out yet that is bolted on the upper intake manifold, and i am not sure what it is or what it does.

1. plugs into harness for fuel injectors and egr valve.
2. located below the throttle cable and cruise control cable
3. on the upper intake plenum between the egr valve and the fuel pressure regulator
4. has 2 rubber hoses going to it

does anyone know what this is and what it does? dould this be the problem?

Quick Reply: 99 accord 4 dr sedan....HELP ME!