General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 accord mis fire/egr issue.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Default 99 accord mis fire/egr issue.

Ok so here is what I have. My accord is giving 3 codes P0303,P0401 and P1399. I've looked them up the egr valve is new still a error guessing I might have to take the intake apart? Now as for the other two codes I'm at a total loss so I'm seeking aid. Cly 3 is missing till it warms up then its dead. As in I pull the wire and nothing. Engine doesn't change, pull 1,2 and 4 it shutters and does what's expected. I've done the following. First step ran 1 cup of seafoam into the intake directly and the rest into gas tank. Now after the seafoam ran its course cyl3 fired. Sadly after the drive to blow it all out cyl 3 again shut down. Swapped plugs cleaned them switched wires replaced cap and button nothing so far has worked. And yes put 3s wire to metal it arcs. If I can give more information to further help someone diagnose this issue please feel free to ask I shall answer best I can. Thank you for reading.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Check the injector for #3 cylinder. Should be able to hear clicking with engine running. You can swap injectors and see if the miss changes to cylinder that the injector was swapped from.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

And for the p0401, yes I would pull the plenum apart and clean it, be sure to get the small little egr port. Some pic's to give you an idea of what to look for...yes I like pic's

Attached Thumbnails 99 accord mis fire/egr issue.-6th-gen-injector-base-egr-port.jpg   99 accord mis fire/egr issue.-6th-gen-4-cyl-egr-port.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 08:11 AM

Ok I will try that this afternoon. Thanks for the help guys, an yea pictures always help more.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck.....and if you want to take any pic's as you are doing this, please do. The more the better

Old 08-24-2013, 10:19 AM

Do have one last question that I thought of. Is there a special way I should remove the injector from the rail? I tend to not be gentle sometimes and don't want to break something.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Shouldn't be that hard.

The injectors are kind of "sandwiched" between the rail and the intake. With seals on both ends of the injectors.

So once you remove the nuts that hold the fuel rail down. As you lightly pull up the fuel rail the injectors are either going to come loose from the intake or the rail......or a combination. Meaning, it could be that one injector stays in the intake and the rest come up with the rail.

Not sure if that helped or not ?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:40 AM

UPDATE. So after everything I've it all pretty much pointed to injector issue, well I replaced the injector upon a simple test. And..... It's still haven the same issue. Any others ideas?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Recheck the wires to the injector and be sure that you are getting voltage and ground. Going on memory, code for lord help us all, but one is hot all the time and the ecu sends the ground when it wants the injector to spray.

Next, did you get into the plenum and check the egr port/passage.....should have said this in the PM's but the "book" says to address the 0401 before worring with any missfire codes.

Do a leak down test on #3, it was slightly lower than the others on the compression test.

I saw your other post about a swap......hang on and lets see what we can figure out before going for an engine swap.

EDIT: Sorry, I only have a short time at work while at lunch to get online. I replied to your PM but ran out time before I got to this post.

Again, being here others with more knowledge will be able to chime in and help as well.

Attached Thumbnails 99 accord mis fire/egr issue.-deleteme3.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 08-27-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM

Ok. Ill try that this weekend an do the egr first. For the most part only reasin I'm considering a replacement is due to the fact I bought this car back in November an this is five ar from the first CEL I've had to deal with. Upon the first two times found out dealer sold with a bad alt and a noise position sensor in which was the timing belt.....was orig at 230+k miles and the person who did the job did **** poor. Mis tightened my harmonic balancer an it spun off letting first gear out 3 weeks ago. But that's just a last resort cause body is nice zero rust under the car even.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 accord mis fire/egr issue.