General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord no start no turn over

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Default 99 Accord no start no turn over

99 Accord will not start or turn over.Im expecting starter ,immobilizer or some kind of relay,maybe the ignition switch.
The car had an intermittent no start/no turn over issue that seemed to get worse.Now it will not start at all.Turn key and everything works green key light comes on and goes off after a couple of seconds.
codes are;
evap control system leakage
egr insufficient flow detected
egr valve lift insufficient detected
catalyst efficiency is below threshold
All codes are emissions related so i cant see them being related to my prroblem although they need to and will be addressed as money makes possiblE.
For a couple months ,sometimes it would take 3-6 tries to get the car to start but as soon as it tried to start it would start right away.no starter drag or excessive cranking.You can hear and feel a relay clicking in the underhood fuse box.All headlights,radio,interior,courtesy lights and everything works fine.The maintenance required light came on about a week after the last oil change
so when i turn the key i get nothing other than interior and dash stuff.
I tried a different battery that is hot and no change.CAR WILL NOT JUMP OFF!Im thinking starter or some relay but im Open to suggestions.Thanks in advance.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Do you hear one loud click at the starter?

Old 09-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

To add to what PA said, if you have a voltmeter. Try checking the voltage one the small wire of the starter when this happens and note the reading.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 PM

Voltmeter is fried,gotta get another one or borrow one.There is no click or any sound from the starter.It doesnt appear to even try to engage.

I havent worked on fwd much but Ive removed many starters.I searched and believe i read that to remove the starter i have to remove the lower radiator hose and drain the coolant just to remove the starter.Is this correct?Any other things that i need to know that i may not be expecting?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

On my 95 accord which has a similar engine as yours, I just had to move the radiator hose a bit to get the starter out. I didn't have to drain the coolant and remove the hose.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Same here on my 1998, which is just about identical to 1999. It's a really long hose, easy to push out of the way. But DO remove the large rubber air duct from the air cleaner to the throttle. Removing the battery tray might help, don't remember.

OTOH, the bolts for the starter can be a PITA. Gotta have the right extension, not too long. But its on the top of the transmission, so right there that's easier than most RWD cars.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.It`ll be this weekend
before i can mess with it.Dont be afraid to toss any other ideas yall think it might be in the meantime.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Get a voltmeter or even a test light. Verify that the starter is getting power from the big cable. Then verify that it's getting a 12v signal from the little wire. I'd rule out those things first before removing the starter.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:07 PM

Im assuming the little wire is coming from the ignition?Got a friend bringing by his voltmeter,but in the meantime i tried to boost it by running jumper cable to big wire on starter and still got nothing.In my thinking that should have giving me something or am i mistaken.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

The small wire "turns on" the solenoid which then will cause the starter motor to run....you could jump a "hot" wire to the small wire/terminal on the starter and see what happens.

Quick Reply: 99 Accord no start no turn over