General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:36 PM
LCAnthony
Unregistered
Default 99 Accord Stalling

Hello guys, I'm looking at this car for a friend and it starts, idles, and drives just fine until you stop. Or if you rev it and let off the gas it will stall, but it starts and idles fine every time. I did find out that if I remove the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator that it runs fine. So I replaced the fpr and it still does it as soon as I plug it back in. He recently replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and primary o2 sensor. thank you for your time!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

"I replaced the fpr and it still does it as soon as I plug it back in."

What did you plug back in? FPR vacuum line?

FPR may not be the issue. What is idle speed and does idle speed sag when you add load; auto trans, AC. IACV may not be compensating when you come to a stop and idle becomes unstable (too low) and engine dies. I would also clean IACV, both sides of throttle plate, and bore around throttle plate.

good luck

Old 02-22-2009, 12:44 PM

i have the same issue.. does it happen mostly when its cold?? it will drive well and everything and its only when u are going about 30mph or so, then u have to brake, press clutch - and it revs down till 0 and dies off...

a mechanic told me to clean the engine and replace spark plugs (which he reckons needs replacing) , then will see from there what needs to be done...

i'll have it done and keep it updated here .. let us know what u r up to aswell

edit: it doesnt switch off EVERY time, and most of the time it will rev down to nearly 0, then bounce back to 1 .. is that the same issue u r having?

Last edited by Underworld; 02-22-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:27 PM
LCAnthony
Unregistered

So, yes when I plug the fpr vacuum line back in is what I meant. And no putting a load on it doesn't seem to affect it. Idle speed is between 8-900 I believe. Thanks Texas I'll check out the IACV and go from there. And boring around the throttle, how do I do that?

Old 02-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Clean w/ throttle body cleaner and old toothbrush as far as you can reach into the throttle bore, both sides of throttle plate.

I would suggest performing an idle speed setting per Honda procedure. Check autozone.com for online manual for your vehicle for idle speed setting procedure.

good luck

Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
LCAnthony
Unregistered

Hey Texas, I got back into the car last night and cleaned everything like you said and its working great! Thanks for the help