General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 accord transmisson going out?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Default 99 accord transmisson going out?

So I have a 1999 Accord Ex with an auto transmission. The only two thing I have done to the car is upgraded the audio system and put a short ram intake on it.
My accord has 180,000 miles on it and other than this little problem I have this car drives like butter.
So say I’m going to leave for school in the morning and it starts just fine and drives very well, but if I make a pit stop first and turn my car back on it idles weird. When I get going on the road I go well until it hits about 1500 rpms and starts to putt out. The only way I have found to stop this from happening is if I activate VTEC, even so if I slow down it will putt out on me and I’ll need to do it again.
After the car gets warmed up it will go back to riding smooth and I won’t have problems with it again.
This problem though is not consistent at all but when it does happen it happens occasionally threw out the week. But I can also go for a month or two and I will have no issues with this problem what so ever.
Any words of wisdom would be very kind.
Thanks.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

doesn't sound like transmission, more like a driveability problem. so did you install a VTEC activation switch to bypass the normal operation of the system? it sounds like it only happens when cold also, correct?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 PM

I did not install anything like that for my VTEC. But yes you at correct it only does it when it is cold. After it is warms up it drive nice and smooth. Also glade to here it probably isn't the tranny. Was kind of scared about that.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

did the check engine light turn on while driving? I would stop by an autoparts store and have them scan for codes. Post any codes found on here. They start with the letter P and have four numbers, like P1234.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:37 AM

I agree with Dr. D. Does not sound like tranny issue. Definitely a driveability, maybe sensor or engine issue.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

I'm confused by the statement in post 1 about it happening "if I activate VTEC". How are you activating or not activating VTEC? In your car VTEC is activating itself at pretty low rpm, depending on throttle position.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I'm confused by the statement in post 1 about it happening "if I activate VTEC". How are you activating or not activating VTEC? In your car VTEC is activating itself at pretty low rpm, depending on throttle position.
i was wondering about that too. i know that there are aftermarket modules to kick in the VTEC activation earlier, but have never seen a switch set-up, although it wouldn't be that hard to install one.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Sillyness.
It's very easy to install a switch. But there's no point, really. The ECU will switch it on & off depending on which mode gives you better performance at ANY & ALL operating points.

Switching on VTEC at the wrong RPM isn't gonna be like squirting some nitrous. It's not a guaranteed increase in power.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 AM

So I don't have any codes nore does my check engine light seem to be in. Also when this happens my rpms reach to about 1000 to about 2000 and then it drops and idles weird. Once I drop the pedal and activate VTEC I'm generally goo till I reach thoughts lowers rpms or until my car has wormed up.

Doesn't VTEC usually kick in at 4300 rpms anyway?

Old 10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

looks like the VTEC request is at anything above 4k rpms

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 accord transmisson going out?