General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99' Accord - wheelbearing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Tennesseestorm
Unregistered
Default 99' Accord - wheelbearing?

Hi all. I found a local 99' Accord LX automatic, that the seller needs a wheel bearing. It has high miles (around 245K), but he said engine was good and the transmission was good, but it made a terrible noise from the front when it was rolling. Does it sound like this could be a wheel bearing, or something with the transmission? How hard is the bearing to replace? Lastly, I can get the car for about $1500 and it looks pretty good inside out. Thanks for any tips/advice!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Default RE: 99' Accord - wheelbearing?

if the wheelbearings are bad, the noise level will get louder as the speed increases

its acraping soundlike you have a cardboard stuck under your car

the repair can be around $200 or so

Old 10-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

A wheel bearing noise might change in pitch when turning. I wouldn't rule out a tranny issue, but I'd expect that to actually be felt rather than just making a noise. A wheel bearing will typically also make a hard clunking noise when the bad wheel goes over a bump. A tranny issue wouldn't change due to bumps.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

It could even be brakes, which would be easy to fix. Gotta take it apart to know for sure.