General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the battery terminal

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Default Cleaning the battery terminal

Hello all,

This issue must have been discussed before at length, I am sure. However, the search function does not seem to work for me at all despite trying all possible options.
I popped the hood of my car the other day and it looks disgustingly dirty. I wish I could spray water and clean it all... but I know it is not a good idea (or is it???). What is the best possible way to make the car look clean under the hood?
Also, my main question is about the battery terminals. I see a bunch of green stuff accumulated around the battery terminals and I would like to clean it. When I checked online, they say I can clean it using a mix of 1 part baking soda and 4 parts water. I should just pour it on the terminals, let it sit for 5 mins and then scrub and clean with plain water. I should take the battery cables out before attempting this. Now, if I did that, will my music system get locked as a part of security thing? My music system is not the original honda system. It is sony CD/Radio system. Can the cleaning be done without disconnecting the battery?

thanks

PS: Sometimes, I wish there was a way to post questions anonymously. My questions sound really newbie and silly sometimes....

Old 10-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Cleaning the battery terminal

Your CD player won't get "locked" if you disconnect the battery, but you may lose your radio presets and settings. I would recommend disconnecting both terminals (negative first, positive second) and using a steel wire brush (much like those used to clean grills) to clean the terminals on the battery and the terminals on the wires so they are bare metal again. They also sell battery terminal cleaners at auto parts stores, look in the special tools section.

If you still want to do the baking soda method (I don't know how well that works), I would make a paste rather than a solution.

Use the link in my signature as an alternative to the HAF search. If you search "engine bay" you should get some results about what to cover up and look out for if you want to pressure wash under the hood.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:28 AM

I clean under the hood with detailer usually. If it's that dirty, I'd wipe everything down with a damp rag .... if it's REALLY nasty in there, use 50% diluted Simple Green. When it's clean, use back to black or tire shine on a rag to get the hoses looking nice and shiny. Armor-all is goo for this too.

For the battery terminals, mix baking soda into a paer cup with warm water. Brush that onto the terminals with a paint brush until all acid is neutralized .... then clean with a brillo pad, re-coat with baking soda water and dry real well. Now reconnect your terminals and coat with grease ..... of you want to be really dilligent, use dielectric grease between the battery and terminals in addition to non-dielectric grease for the outter coating.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Terminology, Falk...
A dielectric material is an insulator, so you would not want a dielectric between the post and clamp. Electrically conductive grease that I've seen actually has powdered metal mixed into it.

I usually clamp the cables on dry, then glop grease all over it.

If it corrodes again quickly, one common reason is hairline cracks in the plastic battery case around the terminal post.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:39 PM

^^^ my bad .... thanks for correcting me

I thought they were the same.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

NP - EVERYBODY seems to get that one backwards.

The reason you use dielectric grease in spark plug boots is to prevent high-voltage spark leakage out from the boot. The little clip inside the cable will scrape the grease off so it WILL provide metal-to-metal contact at the top terminal of the spark plug.

Normal greasenota particularlygood conductor. ButOTOH itusually doesnt have a very highdielectric breakdown strength. Most normalusers of grease dont care about its electrical properties so it might be just about anything.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you're going to clean the battery, clean everything. Here's my procedure.

Disconnect negative battery cable first, followed by positive and pull out of way of removing battery.

Remove hold-down fasteners, plate, and remove battery. Wash battery as needed and refill cells w/ distilled water.

Remove battery plastic foundation box and clean. Check under the battery box for corrosion, remove and clean as indicated.

I repaint items that have been corroded severely w/ primer and epoxy spray paint.

Clean battery post ends by dunking in a small plastic glass or cup of baking soda (couple of tablespoons to a glass of water) and allow to "fizz" until the stop. Scrub clean w/ stiff plastic brush or old toothbrush.

Reassemble and spray liberal amounts of NCP-2 on the battery cable ends, hold down plate, fasteners. Good stuff that smells like airplane glue. It really helps to suppress battery corrosion effects. Available at Walmart.

good luck