General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 EX 2dr window reassembly questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:58 AM
PantyJoser
Unregistered
Default '99 EX 2dr window reassembly questions

Greetings!

My drivers window on my '99 EX coupe fell into my door last night after having some proplems fully going up. Thanks to you folks I found out how to get my door panel off and the parts out.The car is my first Honda and relatively new to me, so please bear with my possible ignorance.

My problem now is that I don't know exactly what to replace and how to do it. I went to Checker and Auto Zone and neither have any related parts to physically examine. I also looked at both the chilton and haynes books, and neither of them are specific enough to help me out with the problem. I searched these forums for a few hours, and was denied entrance at arrc. epnet. com.

The car uses the scissor style lift which has a star-like cutout in the largest piece of metal toward the motor side.The little star shaped (on one end) thing was byitself at the bottom of the door, absolutely mangled.It seems toconnect from the interior side of thewidest metal piece of the lift, through a metal piece to which the actual motor is bolted to and through that piece, it "holds" the inner-most part of a coiled up spring. I'll try to put up some pics later tonight of what I speak of.

It's similar to the mech. mentioned here: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_39863/tm.htm
I did see what Hondadudewrote which answers some questions, but I still have a few.

-Can I just replace that little star-shaped on one side thing, say if I got one from the junkyard?

-If the whole assembly is acquired is the whole thing one part that goes in the door fully assembled and doesit typicallyinclude the motor?

-If it doesn't come whole, or go in fully assembled, whatend (top or bottom)of the crescent shaped gear does the motor mesh with when the window is up/down?

-Is there any difference between the versions for the EX and LX?

-Any other suggestions or words of advice? (I will make sure the tracks of whatever goes back in are clean and lubed up.)

I pulled the scissor lift out first, and then I found the mangled little doo-dad, and then pulled out the window motor. I thought that was all the parts, but later I found the coiled spring also.If they come all assembled, then I assume it would all be set and easy to reinstall, but I have no idea after reading for hours online, going to two parts stores, and looking in the two different manuals.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Old 03-19-2008, 02:11 AM
PantyJoser
Unregistered
Default RE: '99 EX 2dr window reassembly questions

Here are the pics of what I speak of:

Part one, since the "file be too large"

Old 03-19-2008, 02:29 AM
PantyJoser
Unregistered
Default RE: '99 EX 2dr window reassembly questions

Parts pics part two:

Here's a few related details, I've numbered the parts I mention for clarity.

Part #1 is the torn up gear/star-shaped thing with a slot on the opposite side of the gear/star side

Part #2 is the motor

Part #3 is the coiled metal spring

Part #4 is the metal part the motor is mounted to, where it seems the star-shaped thing (part #1) goes through, and then connects to the inside of the coild metal spring (part #3)

Part #5 is the scissor lift, with the "star cutout" in from the inside crescent gears, between the ends of the X stamped in the metal.

I notice that the chewed up part (#1) is half round, half hexagon. Any clue to where thehexagon side points for reassembly?
Granted, I don't know if reassembly is even feasable right now. Replacing the whole assembly might be the best option.

Does the coiled spring get wound or unwound when fitting it into the slotted side of part #1?

And again, if I reassemble all the items, any ideas where the crescent/moon shaped gears meet up with the motor gears? It seems that if it's not matched up right, the window with either not roll up or down all the way, and respectively go too far the opposite direction.

I figure too much info is better than not enough when showing/explaining all this. That is in no way an insult of anyone else's intelligence, except for mine, since I'm the dummy with resolvingmy window problem.

Thanks, all!